4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Re: Charger and battery

Post by Tim H »

Thanks MarkA. I assume you used the BM-AIK2A.

Do you know where the leads attach to the electrical system on the airplane?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Tim and David:

This is the kit I used:

https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/BM-AIK1

...and no, the skill level required is not that high. But you will need at least an A&P to sign it off as a minor mod in the airframe logbook. Like most of the modifications/SBs done on my airplane, I performed it during an Annual inspection, and had it signed off at the same time. Here are a couple of pictures of the installation, and the Airframe log entry:
Installation, showing inline fuse
Installation, showing inline fuse
Connected to BatteryMinder via oil door
Connected to BatteryMinder via oil door
Airframe-22.pdf
Logbook entry of install
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Tim H wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:51 pm Thanks MarkA. I assume you used the BM-AIK2A.

Mine are connected directly to the battery.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:05 am
Tim H wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:51 pm Thanks MarkA. I assume you used the BM-AIK2A.

Mine are connected directly to the battery.
Rich:

I'm sure that works, but the installation instructions that came with my kit specified the positive be attached to the battery relay and the negative to airframe ground. This added pain to the install, since I had to pull the relay assembly cover off to access the battery relay connection. Ground was easy - just connected to the battery ground cable where it attached to the engine mount.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Mine was mounted by my regular mechanic. He did more than just wire it in, fabricating a rigid bracket for it, so connecting/disconnecting is really easy:
BatteryMinder Receptacle.jpg
I was informed years ago by BatteryMinder that the original connecting wiring is not certified for permanent mounting in an engine compartment. With respect to the fuse holder in that assembly, Surefly came to inform me they use an inline buss fuse because they could find no blade fuse holder that was so certified. The temperature rating of the original wiring is unknown.

Adding additional wiring is not covered under the owner maintenance provisions.

The deal with wiring directly to the battery is specifically stated as a complication when removing/installing the battery. I find it no big deal and it's rare to do so in any case.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

Tim,

Yep, I have the BM-AIK2A interface kit.

In my case the positive lead with the inline fuse goes directly to the battery and the negative goes to a convenient ground point. It is pretty simple to install but is not something that would be covered by "owner maintenance". Mine was installed by the mechanic during an annual.

2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

New owner of 2109 DA40 NG - thanks to Russ the boatguy and David dmloftus and others for helping me make the decision. So, now I've got the plane home from AZ and there are no hangers in metro ATL. So, I'm outside at KFTY. Like all on the thread, I want to install a batteryminder. It would take about a hundred yards of extension cord, so I found a solar model from batteryminder - 12/24 Dual Voltage Solar Controller w/20W Panel Concorde part num SCC1224020-AAS5 with the Quick connect harness for battery charger Airframe interface Kit, BMAIK2. (combined $315.35 with shipping). I met with the electronics guy (Sheldon) at Hill and we created a plan. Remember, this is an NG so the GPU plug is under the airplane on the left side a couple of feet behind the wing. There is no handy dandy opening in the cowling like on the 180. The GPU plug is sealed as part of the plane's body. I still needed to get the wire from the solar panel to the battery harness. I do not want to close the door on the wire. I do not want to fish it through the rear door handle (that would work but I would not be able to lock the door or even close it tight so I eliminated that). I do now want to fish it through the "clear prop" window as it opens down and in and unless the cover is perfect, I'll have rain in the front seat and it will be a pain to do every flight.

So Sheldon and I decided to intercept the wire from the GPU plug and put a switch on it - Position one - GPU plug goes as intended. Position two- GPU plug goes to the battery interface. We'd then wire the solar panel (which I plan to rest on the wing with suction cups or perhaps long thin bungie cords that wrap around the wing) to a standard three pin Cessna plug ($44.95 from Sporty's) and bingo I've got a slick connection. The various parts and switch would be securely mounted in the little "trunk" under the luggage behind the rear seats.

All was well until Sheldon called Diamond and Diamond said it would not approve of anything connected to the battery without an STC. All the sales literature says "no STC or field approval required." I called Audio Authority, the batteryminder people, and Aircraft Spruce. None had heard of this issue and they sell a lot of these things for certified airplanes. Before I call Diamond - I want to know what I'm missing here. Thanks. Michael
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

On mine the adapter was installed by my IA as a minor modification per 14 CFR 21.93 - so entered in the log. Of course in my plane the installation is much simpler.

It's unclear Diamond needs to approve such things.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

It's unclear Diamond needs to approve such things.
That's the secret. Diamond is saying they won't approve it, but you didn't need to ask them.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Colin, I agree that I don’t need to ask Diamond. But at least as to Sheldon at Hill, the damage is done. I’ll have to go find another I'm afraid. I’ve read the FAA rules that the mfg of the tender cites and I agree this is not a mod that needs approval. But someone has to sign the book and I’m pretty sure that can’t be me.