Portable Oxygen Systems

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Portable Oxygen Systems

Post by blsewardjr »

Where do you guys put your Inogen G5 when you have passengers? I tried the back footwell but found it hard to reach. Ended up with it under my legs. Not ideal but it works.
Attachments
IMG_0338(1).jpg
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

gcampbe2 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:10 pm The cannula set that you get with the Inogen Aviator kit adds a gauge inline (the red thing in the image below) that spins when delivering O2. So as you inhale, if you look at the indicator, you will see it spin.

cannula.jpeg
So no calibrated scale, correct? Just shows you that O2 is flowing? Just ordered my kit from Inogen Aviator.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

blsewardjr wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:06 pm Where do you guys put your Inogen G5 when you have passengers? I tried the back footwell but found it hard to reach. Ended up with it under my legs. Not ideal but it works.
I hang my Aerox bottle on the back of the copilot seat, and that's where I will hang the G5 that I just received this morning. Flying to St Simons next week.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

Correct - there is no calibrated scale on the Inogen Aviator cannula; it simply spins to show you there is O2 flow.

I tend to just put the unit on the middle of the floor in the backseat. It's out of the way there, and the cannula is plenty long enough.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

I would just like to add +1 positive review for the Inogen. I have no previous experience with oxygen. I ordered the Inogen G5 from a EU online retailer and ordered the Aviator Kit from the company in California. Each using our own unit, and on a setting of 3-4 (out of 6) both my pro pilot and and I still have 95% oxygen saturation at FL180 and maybe 20% remaining after a 4-5 hour flight using the larger battery.

Additional fact is that this system can be brought with you on a commercial flight easier than the O2 tanks if you need to ferry a plane. the larger battery is around 95Wh which is under the 100Wh limit with the airlines (it is basically a large laptop battery)

Tip: Buy the expensive battery charger. This way you can just bring the batteries home and leave the concentrators in the airplane. With the charger that comes with the units you would have to bring the whole unit home to charge.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

FYI, Another great thread on Oxygen Concentrators

viewtopic.php?p=93269#p93269

Copying one of my posts from that thread:

Received my Inogen One G5 unit last week, just in time for a flight to St Simons. I absolutely LOVE it! Much smaller and easier to transport than my tank, the case even has a strap to attach it to the handle of my rollaboard. At around 5 lbs, it hangs very nicely on the copilot seat back. Flew 11,500' down to KSSI on setting 3 to test it out, which kept me mid 90's and used only about 25% of the high-capacity battery for the 2-hour flight. I too run mid-40's resting heart rate and tend to drop into low 90's SPO2 above 10K'). On my flight back, we had pop-up afternoon thunderstorms all along my route, with bases broken at 4K-8K, tops around 10K. Flew at 12,500 so I could easily see any vertical development and had to zigzag a fair amount to avoid several heavy cells up to 25K. With my tank, I would likely have chosen 10,500 to avoid using O2. But with an infinite supply of oxygen sitting next to me, I had no hesitation to use it and I flew at a safer altitude where I could see any potential danger.
I did a lot of research on different models and potential suppliers. Due to supply chain issues, some Inogen distributors have been out of stock for months. Main Clinic Supply in MN had units in stock and require only your pilot's certificate, but they wanted nearly full list price. I was thrilled that the best deal I got was through Inogen directly. Got the G5 kit, regular and high-capacity batteries, and 3-year warranty for only $2671, with no taxes since it is a medical device. I had previously spoken with my Dr who had agreed to write me an Rx for the device. Inogen faxed him a standard Rx form, which he signed and fax'ed back within 24 hours (see my earlier post about online Dr's who will write the Rx for $75).
I too looked at Craig's list, where most "lightly used" G5's go for around $1600. But I would have no idea about the condition of the unit, battery condition, etc. And I don't believe the warranty would transfer if still in effect given it is illegal to sell oxygen concentrators (that's likely why they can't be found on ebay). For $1000 more, I got a brand new unit, extra battery, and full warranty.
I also bought the Inogen Aviator kit with dual cannula and power supply. I will try to run mostly off of batteries (rarely do my flights exceed the 6-8 hours on the high-capacity battery plus I have the smaller battery as a backup), but I like the peace of mind to plug in if I need to. Earlier posts indicate Inogen Aviator as a source for the oxygen concentrator. I spoke with the owner, Tom Laux, who said he no longer sells the units after Inogen decided to consolidate their distribution network. But he is a wealth of information and worked with Inogen to certify the units with the FAA. He says his power supply is custom for this application and it seems like a high-quality product.
Including the $300 for my upgraded accessory plug, I'm just over $3K for complete confidence at altitudes as high as I can fly a DA40. Given how much we pay to fly these aircraft, I feel this is a small price to pay for the added safety, convenience, and peace of mind.