Purchased a DA 42 Simulator

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

todarrell
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Darrell
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: NSIM
Airports: KORL

Re: Purchased a DA 42 Simulator

Post by todarrell »

Don,

Thank you. I appreciate the insight and help.
Would something such as this design work? The throw is just over 11 feet. Moving the fuselage back to avoid shadow casting.
What 1080 projector would you recommend?
Warping software recommendations? Fly Elise-ng?
The graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 24Gb comes with HDMI and digital ports.
Attachments
IMG_8832.jpg
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

I just noticed you are near Orlando which also happens to be the Simulation industry's capital here in the USA with many simulation companies are based there. Also, the big annual simulation show is at the the Orange County Convention Center and called I/ITSEC. https://www.iitsec.org/about-iitsec
That said, I would start with your existing computers and software. Yes, you will need warping abilities and soft edge blending where you overlap the three projected images to create one large horizontal vista. See example of projector overlap on 360 degree ATC training sim photo below during projection set up. You will definitely need some help setting up the visuals but the good news is there is plenty of talent in the Orlando area. I am not a software guy, mainly hardware, so it is best to get local IT professional guidance from someone near Orlando who can assist you in person.
GrayMatte 70 sim.JPG
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Post by tjmoody »

Darrell -This is an impressive project. The flight school that I did my Commercial ME at has one and I have a few hours in it. With the exception of rudder pressure, I found it very similar to flying a DA42 TDI. it was a good way to keep the training going when the weather was not cooperating. I'm not sure if you are doing this purely for your own interest or as a business project, but you might find some interest as a "leaseback" opportunity at a flight school with DA-42s.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

It was real enough for me during my multi-engine training that I sweated buckets while doing six approaches. I don't know how the maintenance on a sim is done, but an engine NEVER failed in the real plane and I rarely got a pattern in the sim that an engine didn't fail, or catch fire, or the nav radio didn't die on me. I considered asking for an additional half hour just to do a nice normal flight LGB-AVX or something like that.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
todarrell
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by todarrell »

The sim project started as a hobby - I needed something to do that would be challenging. I'm sure I'll end up allowing friends to build time.
Another friend suggested I open a virtual lab style flight school.

The rudders are tricky. They're OEM but have a pressure sensor attached for electrical brake inputs. They are the older pull style adjustable pedals with pressured oil lines. In the rear the of the plane, the rudder cable / rod is connected to a linear potentiometer and a large electric motor. This is for force feedback. I though about ripping them out and replacing with modern force feedback pedals. Still not sure..

Progress this week was minimal - ( son's graduation)
I met wit Neil, the engineer, last Saturday. Basically, it was an interview for both. He wanted to understand the project and I was interested in his background and skills. Overall, he has a strong resume and solid history with robotics and automation. He has been building automotive simulation for years. Pretty extensive electronics, firmware and Ardunio experience. He is a private pilot with an instrument rating. I explained to him the importance of me building the simulator and him teaching. He is pretty active in the community with volunteer work - schools and clubs. I feel he is a good fit for the project.

My homework from our first meeting:
-watch a few YouTube videos on wiring standards
-purchase a few items for wire mapping - multimeter, label maker and printable heat shrink
-Purchase and install a large dry erase board.
-Until the nice PC arrives, I setup a basic PC with a few programs.

I have divided the project into five parts. Each part will entail many sub-projects.
A. Flight controls -stick, rudder and force feedback
B. Panel
C. Center console
D. Room setup
E. PC and software

I'll most likely be adding the interior to the list - paint, leather and carpet - revisit this later

My next meeting is this Sunday.

Last bit, I've decided against MSFS2020 and will go with XPlane 11. Unfortunately, MSFS has too many issues with multiple monitors / screens, functionality and it is significantly underdeveloped. This sucks because MSFS is absolutely beautiful. All industry experts recommend I launch with X Plane.
Attachments
IMG_8842.jpeg
IMG_8841.jpeg
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I agree with your assessment of MSFS 2020 vs. X-Plane 11. Add to the list that X-Plane’s developers are more responsive to third-party developers’ needs: they’re simmers as opposed to MS’s gamers.
todarrell
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by todarrell »

Week 3- Back at it

XPlane w/ Add in Aircraft and 3rd Party
Testing Arduino Mega - analog & digital i/o
building spreadsheet to record wire mapping
Brake check
EL Testing and COM Stack removal
Starting to think about interior options

I purchased a gaming laptop. I'll use it until my PC arrives. My son needed it for school so it all worked out. I installed XPlane 11 then purchased the DA42 (Alabeo) and downloaded HCSCI, 3rd party add in formerly know as SIMVIM. Once all software was installed, I connected the Arduino Mega. I used different input and outputs to test functionality. Next, I was taught a clean method of charting and recording wiring data. It's a slow but necessary step that should make future tasks, such as drawing the diagram, much easier.

Checking the brakes, I found I may need one master cylinder. It's on the pilot side set of rudder pedals, right brake.

I connected a power source to test the EL panels. Each one worked well and looked awesome. Finally, I removed the G1000 radio stack.

I'm starting to think about interior options. I really like the look of the newer stuff so I sent a few requests to a number of interior people.
Attachments
IMG_8875 2.jpg
IMG_8873.jpg
IMG_8881.jpeg
IMG_8885.jpeg
IMG_8884.jpeg
todarrell
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by todarrell »

Can anyone tell me if this toggle switch is on an actual DA42? The switch is located on the bottom left area of the panel. Almost underneath the pitot heat switch. If so, what's the functionality?

Thank you!
-Darrell
Attachments
IMG_8887.jpeg
1Skyper1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Alex
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: PHFLD
Airports:

Post by 1Skyper1 »

Its on all Diamonds I know, alternate static air. Great project!
todarrell
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by todarrell »

Update weeks 4 & 5

I was out of town for a few days last week but project is moving along.

*All wires / connectors mapped and identified.
*All inputs / outputs assigned to pin locations.
*Wiring diagram includes.
-1 Arduino Mega, 2 Arduino Nanos, 3 Multiplexers, 1 LED driver, 4 stepper drivers, 1 servo board, 5v power supplies and distro blocks
*All boards will go on two pieces of CAD designed laser cut acrylic. I'll place on the back of MFD / PFD. I'll use stand offs and screw terminals for a look clean
*I repaired and painted landing gear switch and flap lever.
*I removed the brake system then cleaned, flushed and replaced fluid. Fortunately, all four Cleveland master cylinders are good! Bleeding the brakes was fun. No tires so I had to crack the lines at the pressure sensor connector located in the nose of the sim. The MIL H 5606 (fluid) was black sludge! I replaced with Auto DOT 3. (Don't hate! It doesn't matter the simulator doesn't actually have brake pads) My son helped me with this step.
*PC arrived!!
*G1000 ordered - I went with two 1044b screens (integrated AP)
*I purchased a EL Fuel Pump x2 panel from Diamond to replace the stand alone AP section
*Also purchased a Deicing EL panel (currently just have a blank in that section)
Both panels were pretty expensive and not in budget but I felt this was necessary.
*I went ahead and ordered new C&K locking switches for the ECU portion of the panel. One switch is bent and another is faulty.
Attachments
IMG_8975.jpeg
IMG_8974.jpeg
IMG_8961.jpeg
IMG_8960.jpeg
IMG_8958.jpeg
IMG_8957.jpeg
Last edited by todarrell on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.