1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: N66AR
Airports: KAPF

2021 DA62 Valuation

Post by Worldwisetrade »

OK, so market seems to be very hot and I am having an impossible time to find a hangar for my DA62 which is going to force my hand on selling when my current hangar deal soon ends.

Original list was $1,417,000 and total time about 175 hrs. One year left on the warranty, always hangared, no damage, loaded including radar, professionally flown.

Any experts out there on a consensus?

Happy Flying!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: 2021 DA62 Valuation

Post by CFIDave »

I'm sorry you need to sell your DA62 just due to a hangar issue.

The current wait for a *new* DA62 is more than a year due to factory supply chain issues as well as strong demand, and there are very few if any used DA62s currently for sale. Therefore you may be able to sell your plane for roughly what you paid -- if you can find a buyer who doesn't want to wait for a new plane. (You may want to use a broker who already knows of such DA62 buyers, and can provide the buyer with help on finding suitable DA62 financing and insurance.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Worldwisetrade
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: N66AR
Airports: KAPF

Post by Worldwisetrade »

Thanks Dave. The lack of hangar space is a huge problem and not only for twin hangars. Most airports have 1-2 year wait lists, for twins at KAPF it's 5+ years (actually the list is stagnant). I see carousel hangars in Europe that address the problem, and multi -level stacked hangars as well. The airport authorities in the U.S. unfortunately are not making hangars a priority, typically they are milking the fuel sale cow for the business jets and care less about GA. Sad but true.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I am uncertain the necessity to hanger is the same with a CFRP aircraft trimmed and drilled by CNC vs an aluminum artisan aircraft. We are pre-programmed to believe in hangarage but perhaps this is a carry over from another era. Obviously the hanger lifestyle is nice but booking hangerage adhoc at FBO for occasional storms might perhaps work?

Remember - those artisan aircraft are terribly made, for example, I believe no two King Air doors are alike. There is a general fear of referring to the terrible and antique build quality of certain aircraft for fear of upsetting others, but I believe Diamond are SO far ahead construction wise it is just. Even Cirrus has constant corrosion problems with hangered aircraft on their aluminium control surfaces where Diamond uses CF. Carbon Fibre boats and cars sit outside side for decades. UV wax, canopy shade and following a full lubrication program should be ok… as Flying Magazine said, this is not your Dad’s airplane!

I would consider the risk of keeping the airplane parked outside (if you want to keep it of course!)
avluga
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Igor
Aircraft Registration: N777UA
Airports: KOPF

Post by avluga »

Hello, I am on the list for my 62 with Diamond. I would consider to get used one of that fits my expectations.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Robert,
I learnt from Lifestyle yesterday that the DA62 delivery dates now extend out to 2024!! If you still have your 62 I would respectfully suggest that it's now rarer than rocking horse poop and should sell like greased weasel sh*t off a hot shovel!!
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

Wow, demand keeps growing. I placed my order with LifeStyle at the end of September for Q3 2023 delivery.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I also ordered a DA62 for delivery in Q3, but there have been no updates on the schedule so skepticism of that schedule abounds. Garmin is not moving as slowly as Diamond. I ordered the GWX70 radar, but Garmin is now shipping the GWX75.

Dave has described a long list of features that his four year old DA62 is still missing when compared to Cirrus planes that were delivered four years ago. Diamond is not only failing to provide any updates to avionics with their "avionics frozen at delivery" policy, but now they're shipping legacy avionics. How long can Diamond continue to deliver "legacy" avionics hardware and software in their flagship airplane?
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I think we should have faith in Diamond. I believe they know the problem and will bring the avionics goodies to the market. Can the DAN6 who communicate with the DAI representative ask for an update on Phase 3 and a feature roadmap for Phase 4?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Actually, my DA62 from 4 years ago (one of the first delivered with NXi), has been through multiple avionics upgrades since mid-2017:

Early 2020: NXi Phase I software upgrade to enable GTX345R (so I could get rid of my GTX335R and finally obtain panel ADS-B IN weather and traffic), and enable the FlightStream 510 wireless SDcard (so I could get rid of my Stratus box!)

Later 2020: NXi Phase II software upgrade that required swapping out GIA63Ws-->GIA64Ws, GEA71-->GEA71B, and GMA1347-->GMA1360 (new audio panel). However I had to go into G1000 Configuration Mode to enable 3D audio on the GMA1360, since Diamond didn't enable that feature in their Phase II software.

But to Russ's point, Diamond still hasn't delivered DA62 NXi Phase III that is expected to finally achieve NXi feature parity with Cirrus, Cessna/Beech, Piper, etc. from 4 years ago. 2017 NXi features like Visual Approaches, SurfaceWatch, and SirusXM weather animation are still missing. In contrast, the new DA50RG (certified by EASA rather than Transport Canada) is now being delivered with NXi Phase III including the blue autopilot Level button.

I'm guessing that by the time Russ' new DA62 is delivered next year he may get NXi Phase III with the blue Level button, GWX75 onboard weather radar, and upgraded Beringer wheels and brakes. Perhaps good things come to those who wait. :)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI