Flying a DA40NG over Icelandic Volcano

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Flying a DA40NG over Icelandic Volcano

Post by dmloftus »

We visit my wife's family in Iceland every couple of years and I've been fortunate to rent C172's several times on past trips. The flying school I usually use merged with another and upgraded their equipment to Diamonds. So I was fortunate this time to get my hands on a DA40NG to fly over the Fagraldalsfjall Volcano. Didn't have my external GoPro and mount so had to shoot by hand. Hope you enjoy with a bit of Icelandic music as well.

https://youtu.be/6cWEqKLT5lU
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-06 161025.jpg
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Re: Flying a DA40NG over Icelandic Volcano

Post by dmloftus »

BTW, it was interesting to compare the NG to my XLS. I found the NG to climb in a more nose-high attitude than my XLS. Possibly on the flare as well. Anyone experience that?
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I have been in Iceland for about a week now. While staying in Reykjavik last Monday and Tuesday, I noticed a DA40-NG flying from the local airport. Wonder if it was you?

We saw the lava from the ground and it was an amazing sight. Weather over the crater was solid IFR at the time.

Great photos! Small world too, since I am also from the Atlanta area.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

krellis wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:26 am I have been in Iceland for about a week now. While staying in Reykjavik last Monday and Tuesday, I noticed a DA40-NG flying from the local airport. Wonder if it was you?

We saw the lava from the ground and it was an amazing sight. Weather over the crater was solid IFR at the time.

Great photos! Small world too, since I am also from the Atlanta area.
Haha. That is a small world! Yes we got very lucky with the weather. It was low IFR when we drove to the volcano as well. When we flew, the winds were from the north so it blew most of the low cover out to sea.
My mother-in-law lives right off the end of BIRK RWY01. Could have been me in the DA40 but I’m sure there are lots of flights in the school’s 2 DA40’s, we leave for ATL on Sunday. Hope you had a great stay in Iceland. I’ve visited about 15 times and always amazed. PM me if you’d like to grab lunch in Atlanta and share pictures.
BTW, if you ever fly up here, you need to study the AIP closely. There are some unique VFR traffic rules and airspace. Definitely need to speak with an experienced pilot or spend more time with a check ride flight instructor. But I highly recommend it on a nice day. It’s spectacular scenery from the air, far more interesting than Atlanta!
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Pics were cool. I did mute it though :)

Tim
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

Thanks for the advice. I have contemplated checking with the flight school to see if we could get an hour or two dual in the NG and fly over the volcano like you did. The Iceland weather certainly complicates things, though. I’ll reach out from Atlanta!
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

Unfortunately, the Iceland weather was typical and we were unable to have our DA40 flight.

We did get a great picture from the instructor though, as he had a photo shoot with DAI a week or so earlier. At first, I did not notice the DA42 in the shot.
Attachments
IMG_7475.jpg
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

krellis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:43 pm Unfortunately, the Iceland weather was typical and we were unable to have our DA40 flight.

We did get a great picture from the instructor though, as he had a photo shoot with DAI a week or so earlier. At first, I did not notice the DA42 in the shot.
Sorry you didn't get to fly yourself. Maybe next time - they're saying that volcano may last years ;)
Whoever is flying the DA-42 is nuts. People were melting their drones near the crater. That appears like they are way too close.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

That’s really interesting! Did you notice an elevated OAT at any time?
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Just realized I never answered this question from Lou. Yes the OAT did rise several degrees in the vicinity. The volcano creates its own weather system when active. We stayed on the upwind side, mostly for visibility but also concerned about heat radiation from the volcano itself and the huge lava field surrounding it. 60 Minutes ran a piece on this volcano a few weeks ago. Definitely worth a look.