5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

New iPad and feeble internet

Post by Rich »

Last Friday I received a gen 3 iPad Pro 11 to replace my gen 1 of the same form factor. Processing power and battery life were the main considerations, plus with trade in of my existing one it's half list price.

When one does this and transfers configuration, apps and files from the existing to the new, the stuff that transfers directly isn't everything. With regard to apps it mostly reloads from the app store onto the new one. Generally files copy directly across, as well as music and lots of ids and passwords. But not everything. To wit: Foreflight data. So after the main transfer (not bad) and an hour plus reloading numerous apps one gets to reload ALL FF data over my feeble 8Mbps connection: 8 GB worth. But this being yesterday (Saturday before 28-day cycle), I got to go back in later and load the 1.3-ish GB July 15 update.

Basically it took several hours yesterday, including manually entering user id/password pairs for seemingly random apps for which the transfer didn't copy. Other than the time consumed it was fairly painless, I suppose.

Limited tests indicate this new gen consumes less power than the original generation. It's conceivable I could fly all day starting at close to a full charge and not need to feed power into it. Further testing will be done, but so far it looks like mission accomplished.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: New iPad and feeble internet

Post by Boatguy »

I also recently purchased an M1 iPad. Internet speed depends on the local service. Battery life is great!