4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: DA50 RG VS SR 22 GTS G3+

Post by MackAttack »

This thread has been around a bit; I wonder what the US sales of the DA50 have been? I wouldn’t expect sales of a $1.4 mm single to be super high in North America - I think the range is a limiting factor, along the slightly lower speed and (for me) the “newness” of the Continental diesel. New engines typically have some teething pains. All the Diamonds are good-looking, however, and the DA50 is no exception. I really liked the paint job on the DA50 that was at OSH last year and am considering a similar paint scheme for my 62.

Along the lines of turbine maintenance issues, the warranty on our M600 expired on Feb. 1, 2022. On March 8, we developed an issue with the hydraulic system which necessitated a new hydraulic pump. $12750 for the pump (not including labor for the trouble-shooting and installation) - then three weeks later, we had a problem with the new pump … picking it up from the shop in San Antonio today. But to Piper’s credit, they are covering both pumps and the labor under the expired warranty … so I have to give credit where credit is due. Good customer service and they didn’t have to do that … it was wise of them to do so for many reasons, but they weren’t obligated and we appreciated it.

It’s no fun flying around and getting master alarms that suggest the wheels won’t be coming down … especially with Angel Flight passengers on board! But fortunately, she extended her legs when requested, no emergency procedures required … This could have been a MX nightmare for us but it turned out to be more of an AOG annoyance. There are lessons in this event for customer service … and our owner’s representatives should convey lessons like this to Diamond when they/we speak to them.

Cheers and fly safe!
laserpilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaap
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2864
Airports: KBWD

Post by laserpilot »

I understand your "no fun"
I suffered a separation of the main landing gear door during take-off that hit the tail on my P46T. Only costed 30K and no warranty from Piper (out of warranty aircraft) Insurance paid out 15k. Couldn't use the Meridian for 4 months waiting on parts.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Ouch - sorry to hear that …
Shoeman
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stuart
Aircraft Type: DA50
Aircraft Registration: GOUTY
Airports: Egcm

Post by Shoeman »

I currently have a SR22TN G3 and was looking at upgrading to a G6 or the DA50. I plumped for the DA50 on the basis of the modernity of the airframe the safety record of diamond aircraft in general which exceeds the cirrus by a margin despite no parachute. The DA50 without an engine can descend slower than the cirrus with a parachute. The DA50 seems more stable to fly and range over 4 hours not really applicable as I have a 4hr bladder. I liked the simplicity and economy of the engine, the simplicity of the start up routines the space in the cabin and the overall look of the thing. I didn’t really do an exhaustive comparison but I think the overall predictable handling swung it for me as one of my sons has just got his PPL
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Shoeman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:38 pm The DA50 without an engine can descend slower than the cirrus with a parachute.

A myth frequently repeated by Diamond salesman who note a lower fpm descent rate but conveniently forget the 40-60 kt forward speed of a Diamond in "Falling Leaf" mode.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

When the production DA50RG first hit the market, I was a bit underwhelmed... cruise speed and range less than an SR22T.

However, more recently my opinion has started to shift toward the DA50RG... for these reasons:
-- all Diamonds are renowned as "pilot planes". I've got ~50 hours flying an SR22T and they are definitely passenger rather than pilot planes (unless you're a fan of Mack Truck handling)
-- I haven't flown a DA50RG but I'm quite certain it is, like its siblings, a pilot plane
-- DA40s and DA42s are ok for passengers, but not as comfy as an SR22
-- DA62s and DA50s are on a par with or better than an SR22 in passenger comfort
-- per the recent AVweb interview with the Swiss DA50RG "earthrounders" it appears that Diamond specs on cruise might well be understated by 5 KTAS or more. The durability on this journey was also quite impressive. [BTW, the Swiss are not known to be good at unfounded hype :) .]
-- *** the SR22T burns 100LL, and the DA50 burns Jet-A -- and this difference is quickly becoming quite important ***

For similar retail price, today if someone were to gift me the $$$... I'd choose a DA50 (or of course a DA62) over an SR22T.
YMMV,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

conveniently forget the 40-60 kt forward speed
This has always bugged me. Even if you nail the power off stall in to the ground and don't spin it, you're still going roughly 60 MPH forward. For comparison think of just steering off the highway in your car and just driving in to whatever's in front of you. Even with car safety margins it's not a pleasant sounding experience.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Shoeman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:38 pm The DA50 seems more stable to fly and range over 4 hours not really applicable as I have a 4hr bladder.
You should try flying it before deciding. Hand-flying DA50 is far from easiness of flying DA42 or DA62. And 50 USG of fuel gives you only theoretical 4 hours - it's more like 3 hours plus reserve which is way too low for serious tourer, regardless whether you plan or not exceeding it. The guys who did RTW used turtle pack for additional fuel, otherwise it would be impossible to do it.

And 1200 hrs TBR is something I would think twice about, although it's expected to be increased in following years but it's questionable whether that will apply for engines already in service or for the new ones only. This was exactly the case for CD-155 engines (Thielert/Centurion 2.0s) - initially they were rated 1200 hrs TBR which was later increased to 2100 but it was applicable only to new engines while engines already in service remained 1200 hrs TBR.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation - DA50 and DA62 share the same sized cabin and it's really great but they also share 1200 hrs TBR for engines while DA42-VI has small cabin (although it's ok for smaller people like me) but it's 1800 hrs TBR for engines, higher cruising speed and superb range.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:06 am
Shoeman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:38 pm The DA50 seems more stable to fly and range over 4 hours not really applicable as I have a 4hr bladder.
DA50 and DA62 share the same sized cabin and it's really great but they also share 1200 hrs TBR for engines...
No: the DA62 AE330 engines are 1800hrs TBR, too.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

photoSteveZ wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:36 pm
ememic99 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:06 am
DA50 and DA62 share the same sized cabin and it's really great but they also share 1200 hrs TBR for engines...
No: the DA62 AE330 engines are 1800hrs TBR, too.
I didn’t know that. Since when?