DA50 same price as DA62 - How's this make sense?

Any DA50 related topics.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

da50speed
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NDA50
Airports:

DA50 same price as DA62 - How's this make sense?

Post by da50speed »

So the DA50 RG starts at $1,150,000 USD and a DA62 starts at $1,171,000. Is anyone else stunned by this?
Eri
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: LXLTA
Airports: ELLX

Re: DA50 same price as DA62 - How's this make sense?

Post by Eri »

That‘s insane. I got a European price list for it a few months ago and it was about the same as a DA42-VI
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Same airframe, avionics, seats, wings, under carriage, etc. Only difference is a big engine (300hp) vs 2x small ones (180hp x 2). It is missing a second prop, maybe that’s the $20k difference…
AndrewM
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N897KC
Airports:

Post by AndrewM »

I bet they are overwhelmed with orders...
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Diamond went to a lot of trouble to design and build in North America what they think is the perfect plane for North America, the DA62.

What would they rather not do? Have to fly a range limited, single engine aircraft with limited operational history across the Atlantic.

When there is a business deal you don't like - raise the price until you like it.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I spent a fair amount of time at the Diamond booth talking to various folks about the DA50. A couple things on the price - 1.15 mm is correct, although overall Diamond prices are going up just under 7% on August 1 (right after OSH). The DA50 price already reflects that increase but the DA62 price will be going up at that time, so it will be over 1.2 mm starting price in August (the increase also applies to the options). That means a fully-optioned 62 will tip the scales north of $1.5 mm, I think. I am glad that I got my deposit done last month…

The specs on the DA50 are a little hard to come by, but normal cruise of 75-80% power will be in the 160-165 knot range. Fuel burn at that power setting is a little vague so far, but I got some speculation that it would be in the vicinity of 12-13 GPH. Not verified, however. Also, I was trying to get a handle on the critical altitude of the CD300 engine and was not able to get information on it. If anyone can get that info it would be useful in assessing the plane’s performance.

Cabin has two rows but is otherwise identical to the 62. Matte-black paint with the red looks very aggressive and the plane looks really good in person.

However, I don’t know how many pre-orders they have taken on the plane so far … I don’t think they had any yesterday just based on some idle booth chatter but I could be wrong; no info from today and I leave OSH tomorrow. I do think that the price point seems like it might be a bit high at first blush relative to a Cirrus SR22 GTS, but the market will have the final say. I am very curious about how this works out.

Still very excited about my 62 order - not switching to the -50. I also I gather than the supply chain issues are hitting all the manufacturers hard, and Diamond is not an exception so we will see how that shakes out on delivery times over the next 12 months.

Cheers
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

With the price increase August 1, the DA62 base price in North America is $100K higher than the DA50 RG $1.15M.

Option prices are the same for both aircraft. However many DA62 owners tend to add GWX weather radar in the nose and 3rd row seating (making it a 7-seater), so for typical fully-optioned aircraft there's going to be a bigger price difference between the DA50 and DA62.

IMHO the DA62 represents better value due to its superior performance, useful load, range -- and of course the security of 2 engines.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I complete agree with CFIDave on the value assessment. However, I will say that the DA50 looks pretty bad-ass … just maybe not that much $$ worth of bad-ass *laughing*. But if that’s what floats your boat, no judgments here!
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Has Diamond published numbers for the DA50’s weight/useful load and its runway performance? I have only two complaints about the DA62 in a couple of hundred flying hours: it’s a runway hog, and the air conditioning is marginal. There was a brief mention of slotted flaps in the DA50 release video, which may help the runway performance. And if Diamond isn’t working to improve the a/c, they should be.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

I am curious how this plane will fair. It is priced at over 35% more than a SR22 (say $1.15m vs a $850k SR22), and lacking in some specs. In particular it has a max range at 750nm, likely at a 50% power setting?

Putting the power at 80% and wanting an hour reserve, range may become fairly limited.

Additionally, according to continental website the engine is TBR (replaced, not overhauled) at 1200 hours. Not sure how the price / hassle of that compares to an overhaul.