DA62 Around the World

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

jl123

DA62 Around the World

Post by jl123 »

Hello all,

I've been flying Diamond Aircraft's mostly 42's for the past 2 to 3 years now, however, after $10,000s in renting fees and stuff like that, I'm very keen on outright purchasing a 62. Flying around the world is something I've always wanted to do, and I'm curious to know if any of you guys have done it before or think it may not be doable in a DA62. Taking into account, the aircraft would be at MTOW for the whole mission as a couple of other aviation pals are looking to do it with me and I'm guessing along with other equipment and luggage we will be right on the limit. I understand the range of these can go up to ~ 1250miles (2000km) or so. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions about this ambitious adventure as if it's too surreal I'll most likely look to other aircraft.

Cheers.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: DA62 Around the World

Post by ememic99 »

jl123 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:00 pm I'm curious to know if any of you guys have done it before or think it may not be doable in a DA62.
If it's doable in DA42 then it's doable in DA62 as well.
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

jl123 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:00 pm Flying around the world is something I've always wanted to do, and I'm curious to know if any of you guys have done it before or think it may not be doable in a DA62.
@jl123, if you haven’t left on your trip yet, you might want to follow FlyZolo online. 19-yr old Zara is doing the trip in a single-engine Shark VFR. Getting stuck in Alaska and Siberia is apparently a thing. Also, Japan still appears to be fairly closed so once she escapes Russia, she’s going to have to fly uncomfortably close to North Korea. Visa logistics is a big part of a RTW trip apparently.
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Absolutely doable. The previous owner of my bird did it, even with a super long leg from Hawaii to CA.

I’ve done US to Europe in an SR22 twice now. With enough planning, it is fairly straightforward.

Please make sure you and your passengers complete an underwater egress course. In the US, survival systems inc in Groton is the best by far. And get good immersion suits ($2k a pop) and a good life raft ($5k). And of course a satphone and PLB are table stakes. Plus appropriate survival equipment should you ditch on the Greenland ice cap.

Happy to talk through the logistics, just shoot me a PM.
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

Hi, just saw the tread now... absolutely doable. I have done it in DA42, just 2 years ago (before the pandemic...). In N hemisphere summer, Bering and Greenland, possible without extra tanks. I crossed Atlantic via Azores, and Pacific from via NZ-Fiji-Christmas-Hawaii, there you need a bubble in the back. Can help you with Russia. PM me. Purchasing a DA62? Just have been trying this over a year, tell me if you see a spare one somewhere ...