5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by ememic99 »

Pehu wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:58 pm The diamond mechanics did an excellent job, finishing the whole repair in just three days.
I’m glad everything is ok but I don’t get this - repair was done in three days but aircraft was on the ground for two months.

For €1M aircraft under warranty I’d expect both engines to be replaced and everything done within 2 weeks.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Emir,

There was some delays caused by the first maintenance shop (they told they were in middle of maintenance audit). So I took that as granted they cant touch the plane during that. I told this to Diamond end of November, so they fixed their own maintenance guys to arrive in two weeks after that.

Yeah, two months was two months, it could have been shortened maybe to one month. Initially the original mx shop estimated march / april 2023...

But you are correct, for 1M A/C under warranty, things should have moved faster, but I do also understand the problems Diamond has with parts and these multiple HPP issues etc. Moaning, groaning and complaining doesn't change it. I was "ok" for two months of maintenance, Diamond kept me in the loop all the time. We are also discussing with Diamond how this downtime will be remedied.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Pehu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:05 am We are also discussing with Diamond how this downtime will be remedied.
Please let us know how Diamond remedies the downtime.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Pehu wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:58 pm Update on my DA62. She is back! Fixed and flying :)

So it happened that the left engine was broken mid flight on Oct 24. The plane diverted to Rostock (Germany) and was left there. Full story what happened above on this thread.

I have to thank Diamond for being able to fix the plane rather quickly: left engine was replaced and right one fixed (HPP + camshaft changed etc). Total downtime was less than two months. Mr Luca Giaquinta handled the case well, so thanks to him for being on top of this issue. I know there are lots of planes needing repair & parts regarding the HPP gear issues out there, so I got my plane back rather fast. The diamond mechanics did an excellent job, finishing the whole repair in just three days.

I flew it back to Helsinki yesterday, all went well.

Hoping that these Austro issues will get eventually sorted and pilots get to enjoy their Diamond birds. I did miss flying the two months when my plane was out of service, now it feels like getting a new plane again! I know it gets a bit of time to get the confidence back to the AC itself - not worrying engines being broken mid flight ... ;)
So you had a failure of your left engine and your right engine required major repairs. Doesn't exactly give one any warm fuzzies about the robustness of the Austro engines nor the supposed safety benefits of owning a twin.

A DA40-180 with the nearly bulletproof Lycoming, along with it's much lower stall speed (vs. the NG) seems to me to be a much safer way to go.

If I owned any Diamond with an Austro engine, I would not be a happy camper.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Randomly reading this thread - there was a DA40NG with under 200 hours on it opened up where I had my annual done. HPP failure that caused the camshaft to overtemp, needing a new one.