2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

jet shades

Post by Deanrobert »

Folks; for those of you that bought the flight shades for your 62, did you do the standard package or opt for the premium? $2400 seems like plenty of $$ for shades, but i wouldn't want to make the move and realize later that the $2900 package is what really works for the glare/solar heat gain...
thanks in advance for your input.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: jet shades

Post by ultraturtle »

Go fer the premium package. The heat reduction in the back is impressive. You can tell the difference between how much heat gets through the front vs rear shades by holding a hand behind each on a sunny day.
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Ultra nailed it. I too did Premium. It gives the struggling A/C in the 62 a descent chance. It won’t cool down the cabin significantly with the A/C running, but it keeps the cabin from turning into the surface of the sun when parked on the ground, but once your in the air and you start climbing to cool temps the Jet shades are wonderful.

Just be mindful of the instructions that once a certain outside temperature threshold is reached they tell you to remove them, unless you use a canopy cover.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Jroseund wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 am Just be mindful of the instructions that once a certain outside temperature threshold is reached they tell you to remove them, unless you use a canopy cover.
I purchased mine spring of last year and don't recall that warning. What did they say?

I did have my pilot side bubble a couple of months ago after an afternoon in the sun, though not that hot. It was replaced under warranty.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Jroseund wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 am Just be mindful of the instructions that once a certain outside temperature threshold is reached they tell you to remove them, unless you use a canopy cover.
As I recall, the issue is the heat the accumulates between the Jet Shade and the window which is affected by the sun intensity & angle, the OAT, and the airflow through the cabin. When I'm parked for more than 20-30 minutes (e.g. a lunch stop vs. a refueling stop) with the Jet Shades installed, I open my DA40NG canopy to position 2 and/or open the vent windows.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Interestingly, my dealer (Premier) recommended going with the standard jet shades vs. the premium because, in their opinion, the premium version was "too dark." I have standard jet shades in our Piper M600 and have been happy with them. For those of you with the premium shades, do you find them too dark and remove them in low light conditions or otherwise? I could see going Premium in the back and standard up front, for example. Thanks!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

You'll need a DA62-specific PIREP on this as it will depend on which windows shades get the darker version in the premium version vs. which windows you need to look out of when flying the pattern or looking for traffic.

In the DA40NG, the premium package has darker shades on the two rear windows and on the top "hat visor" shade. The pilot and co-pilot shades are the same as "regular". The premium darker rear shades don't create a visibility problem for me. I think the darker rear shades help keep the back seats and luggage area cooler than without. Depending on what's in your luggage/cargo, that may or may not be important.

I take all the shades out when flying at night. If I flew formations, then I'd probably take the dark rear ones out for those flights.
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Jroseund »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 am
I purchased mine spring of last year and don't recall that warning. What did they say?

I did have my pilot side bubble a couple of months ago after an afternoon in the sun, though not that hot. It was replaced under warranty.
In the instruction manual it has the disclaimer on page 15 in red just above the Warranty statement:

“Remove your Jet Shades for storage when the aircraft is parked outside and the temperature will exceeds 90 F.”

For a overnight I just keep them in and put my canopy cover on. When I dropped her off for maintenance though I took them out.
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Jroseund »

MackAttack wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:35 pm Interestingly, my dealer (Premier) recommended going with the standard jet shades vs. the premium because, in their opinion, the premium version was "too dark." I have standard jet shades in our Piper M600 and have been happy with them. For those of you with the premium shades, do you find them too dark and remove them in low light conditions or otherwise? I could see going Premium in the back and standard up front, for example. Thanks!
For the 62’s the front pilot and co-Pilot side windows are the standard shades. The remaining middle and rear windows are the Premium tinted windows.

For night flights I would at least remove the front 2 shades.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

What constitutes "storage"? I can understand parking the plane on the ramp for 1-2 weeks in 90+ being an issue. Is an afternoon on the ramp "storage"?