Flight schools with a DA40 fleet

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

kal
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kal
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Flight schools with a DA40 fleet

Post by kal »

Hello. I'm looking to do an Accelerated PPL on DA40 as I plan to purchase one after getting my license. Can anyone recommend schools good weather locations - AZ, FL or CA. Open to others too.

Kal
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: Flight schools with a DA40 fleet

Post by midlifeflyer »

There's one here in the Raleigh NC area. Blueline Aviation. The fleet is primarily Diamond and they do accelerated programs. I can't make a recommendation for or against. I have not flown with them and their reputation is a mixed bag. From what I've seen, the negative is mostly about customer relations. One example was a message they sent to their students when they discovered they were also renting for fun at another airport. The tone was pretty much, "if you have enough time for fun flying, we'll fill it for you!" But if you are looking accelerated, you might not care about that.

https://www.bluelineaviationllc.com/pro ... rtificate/
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

Planning to try out CRAFT in Charleston, SC for an accelerated commercial/multi in late October/early November. They have 40s and at least one 42. I'll come back with a PIREP afterward.

dan
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

There's another one here in Roanoke, VA KROA - Star Flight Training. They have 4 or 5 DA40's a couple DA20's and a DA42, plus their own maintenance facility to keep them going. They also have a RedBird full-motion simulator set up like a DA40. I know they have an online scheduling system, where I think you can sign up for as much time as you want on whatever schedule works for you and their CFIs.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

Hi Kal
I would recommend Blue Line Aviation in Raleigh (soon to be relocated as a company/operation largely to KJNX about 30 miles away where a massive new training center is being built and is soon to be opened, plus BBQ Restaurant...!). I completed my private and instrument ratings with BL and give high marks for professionalism and syllabus. The career pilot program is apparently very popular and successful although I was never a participant. They run almost exclusively Diamond, DA40 NG's and DA 42's for multi training. They have a couple of Cessna's but the maintenance on those has been too high compared to Diamond and they seem to be a secondary option.
My experience was almost without exception positive. I had two check rides with the owner Trey Walters and have observed their growth over the past six years since I first walked in the door for a Discovery Flight. They are very heavy on safety and walk the talk. The planes are well maintained although heavily used as with any flight school. Blue Line recently agreed a purchase order of 50 more DA 40NG's to be delivered in the coming years. As a result of the relationship they have a lot of sway with Diamond on all matters of issues, not the least of which is identifying and addressing recurring maintenance items with Diamond on a regular basis.
Good luck with your choice. DM if you want answers to any specific questions
matt
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I had a great experience with Angel City Flyers in Long Beach, CA. The entire fleet is Diamond and they have their own shop for maintenance. I don't recall availability of the plane ever being an issue.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
vnehess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N515GG
Airports: KRHV

Post by vnehess »

Colin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 pm I had a great experience with Angel City Flyers in Long Beach, CA. The entire fleet is Diamond and they have their own shop for maintenance. I don't recall availability of the plane ever being an issue.
I can second this, Angel City was recommended to me, and I did transition training there to meet insurance requirements, good experience in busy airspace.

I also took additional training at https://flydiamondtx.com/ after picking up my DA40NG.

While it is a great idea to complete PP in the DA40, you could proceed with training in a metal plane and then transition to DA40 with a few hours of dual.
kal
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by kal »

Thank you all. Super helpful. Will check out Blueline and Angel City.
kal
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by kal »

One more thing, I'm trying to avoid busy airspace airports for my PPL at least. Lowering the training risk factor. I don't plane to fly commercial so this is really to prepare me for a purchase of a DA40NG down the line training in a safe aircraft and safe airport with minimal heavy jet traffic.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Hi Kal,

I also recommend Angel City Flyers in one of their DA40’s where I took my FAA IRA training. Contact CFI/CFII Cary Jones - fabulous instructor. He will also take you through all the airspace criteria. Better to learn in a busy area with full instruction rather than wait until later.

Personally, I would go straight onto the DA40 with glass cockpit rather than train in a legacy aircraft, more especially if you plan on purchasing a DA40 anyway.

Good luck !