Would you buy another DA XX?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Would you buy another DA XX?

Post by TimS »

rwtucker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm I don't want to cross-topic but a few comments here made me think there was some progress between Diamond and Garmin in adding ADS-B to DA40 G1000 WAAS aircraft (my adding: ideally so traffic shows up along with TCAS on the MFD). I have been away for awhile and looking for the best available solution as of late 2021. Is there a discussion I can search for?

Thanks!
There are a couple threads. This has most of the info:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7728&hilit=g1000+upgrade

Tim
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N248DS
Airports: KOWD

Post by lgrennlee »

rwtucker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:36 pm I don't want to cross-topic but a few comments here made me think there was some progress between Diamond and Garmin in adding ADS-B to DA40 G1000 WAAS aircraft (my adding: ideally so traffic shows up along with TCAS on the MFD). I have been away for awhile and looking for the best available solution as of late 2021. Is there a discussion I can search for?

Thanks!
I have the GTX345 installed and it will provide this. It will also provide a backup AHRS for use with Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight and streaming flight data but no engine data. It should also provide ADS-B FISB weather products to the MFD as well as FF and GP. Due the aforementioned lack of updates to the MFD the layers available in FF and GP are better than what is on the MFD. I have read that some people have had trouble with the bluetooth signal with the GTX345 in the cabin but I have not had such problems.
lgrennlee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Logan
Aircraft Registration: N248DS
Airports: KOWD

Post by lgrennlee »

I just want to say thanks for all the thoughtful comments on this thread!
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

I took delivery of a DA62 two weeks ago and have put almost 25 hours on it already. I have been exceedingly happy with the aircraft. The technology for the engines, airframe and avionics are amazing, particularly the Garmin 1000 NXi which, in my opinion, is a better avionics suite than the $200 million Boeing 787 I retired on.
The aircraft has had a few gremlins which are slowly being resolved and it is under warranty for another two years so it will all get sorted out. The fuel burn is better than advertised (7.2 gallons per hour per side at 75% rather than the book value of 7.4 while still delivering the advertised TAS). The landing gear (trailing link) is durable and the airframe looks like it could take a pounding. So far, it has been everything it is advertised to be and more.
The only major criticism I have (and I have expressed it to Diamond and the dealer I purchased the aircraft through) is lack of communication. This aircraft was almost 4 months late from the contractual delivery date - while I do not like it, I understand it with the supply chain disruptions that are occurring everywhere. My issue is just keep me informed so I can adjust accordingly. That's all that is required.
Attachments
2345304054737750287.jpg
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Beautiful aircraft Ed - love the colour scheme.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Stunning plane, Ed.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

Ed McDonald wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:33 pm The fuel burn is better than advertised (7.2 gallons per hour per side at 75% rather than the book value of 7.4 while still delivering the advertised TAS).
Try uploading your G1000 logs to flysto.net. They have a great section called "Cruise Performance" where it will compare your TAS,Fuel Flow, and Distance/Fuel to the published AFM values and give you a relative score.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 8.35.33 AM.png
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

To answer the original question - probably not, but I plan to hang on to the plane I have. The only thing I can’t upgrade on my 2003 DA 40 is the KAP140 autopilot. It works fine so it’s not a big deal. But, if I was going to buy another plane it would probably be a steam gauge Cessna 182T. If I didn’t like what was on the panel I would upgrade it to whatever I wanted, and then, 5 years later, if I wanted to, I would upgrade it again. If I wanted to fly in the mountains I would get a T182T. If I wanted to take out the back seats for my bike and my dogs I would do that. If I wanted an engine upgrade, a parachute or TKS those are all available. It’s a stable instrument platform and carries almost 90 gallons of fuel. I would miss the view from my canopy but I would be able to stretch my legs out on long flights. If I was buying a replacement plane I would definitely get an older one without OEM restrictions and then upgrade it to my liking. I couldn’t imagine not being able to get WAAS or switching to Avidyne if I wanted to.
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

Fully agree with John, with all the new avionic products coming on the market, an easy updatable panel is a big advantage. The pre G1000 DA40 is one of the few modern airframes in its class with this advantage. There are a lot of KAP140 G1000 DA40 flying, maybe even an upgrade to a digital a/p will be possible soon, which hopefully will work also for the steam gauge models.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

One of the biggest reasons I just ordered a DA 40 NG was because it uses Jet fuel. I think this one idea is very innovative over Cirrus and others. I never realized why lead and lead fuel is such a problem. (It's very poisonous and difficult to distribute) And secondly, Jet Fuel is harder to ignite and the survivability on a crash is greater (plus the addition of wing spar to protect the stainless steel tank and stainless steel braided lines.)

I'd highly recommend watching this Veritasium video The Man Who Accidentally Killed The Most People In History https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3dnLzthDA . I never realized how poisonous lead is. The ideal of replacing 100LL with a drop-in fuel probably isn't going to happen and if anything the cost of 100LL or other boutique fuels will only drive up costs with its distribution and eventual classification from the EPA in the next years. And if there are several different fuels this will only cause more confusion, safety concerns, and higher costs. As much as a classic aircraft might be a great option, the fuel may cause the classics to become obsolescent alone.