Iridium Certus 100 - coming soon

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Iridium Certus 100 - coming soon

Post by VickersPilot »

Iridium are now progressing with the rollout of Iridium Certus 100 (this is likely the future of sat-internet and voice for GA). I think we can reasonably expect adaption from Garmin and other VARs or perhaps an Iridium Certus Go product soon. Interesting to see if FF or GP will adapt the applications to work with such a solution. Extract from Q3 investor call:

During the third quarter, we reached the next big milestone of our Iridium Certus product line with the availability of Iridium Certus 100. Built on our Iridium 9770 module, this new mid-band service class offers much faster throughput than our current narrowband modems. It makes faster connections through standard IP rather than proprietary protocols and is still a very compact and lightweight device with a small omni-directional antenna perfect for UAVs, maritime, aviation, and many new IoT applications. Iridium Certus 100 is now available with the first of AM products and more coming in the next few months. There's a lot of excitement in our partner base about the solutions they can now address with these devices and speeds.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Iridium Certus 100 - coming soon

Post by CFIDave »

That's why I've been telling new aircraft owners to avoid installing a Garmin GSR 56 -- because it uses ancient Iridium voice-grade modems over a slow narrowband channel. I expect something newer from Garmin that's compatible with Iridium's newer higher-bandwidth IP services.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: Iridium Certus 100 - coming soon

Post by VickersPilot »

The first product (module, not end user) is out the gate (non-aviation specific). It is a TCP/IP modem vs short data burst data of previous generation. The speed differential is 2.4kbps -> 88kbps (down) & 22kbps (up). Voice codecs will be higher quality so less StarTrek and more cell phone. 88kbps may not sound a lot but combined with native TCP/IP will start the revolution of internet connected cockpits.

https://www.iridium.com/products/mcq-connect/

It is layers built upon this connectivity that we will read about in flying magazines for the next decade - FANs/CPDLC, ADS-C, D-ATIS, WX, etc ... having to listen to an ATIS is incredibly romantic but equally outdated.