iPad Mini G6 - PIREP

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

iPad Mini G6 - PIREP

Post by Boatguy »

I use an iPad Mini for my inflight notes, Foreflight, etc. I recently switched to the iPad Mini G6 with 256GB of storage and the cellular connection.

It's a big improvement over the G5. Faster, larger screen, longer battery life and the Apple pencil is magnetically held securely while also charging and pairing. The G6 uses the button at the right top edge for Touch ID which is a little easier than the button on the bottom of the screen on the G5.

I changed my kneeboard strap to the "App Strap" which clips onto the top and bottom of the iPad with a big strap/clip around the leg and a little pad to hold up the iPad up at an angle.

Enjoy!
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: iPad Mini G6 - PIREP

Post by MackAttack »

I have one on order; expecting it in a week or two. Tried an older mini and wasn’t too happy with the ergonomics; looking forward to trying this version. Have been using the 11’ IPad Pro in my cockpit but it would be nice to have something a little smaller. I do like the keyboard for the new Pro models however …
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I got a 6 in the first week it was out. I just now received a notification from RAM of imminent release of a compatible cradle, similar to the ones provides for a large array of iPads. These cradles work the best for me.

I will still use my pro 11 as primary, as it provides bigger target areas for one's fat fingers and I've found a way to make it work well in my DA40. Me being me, I'll probably go back and forth as time goes by, even mounting both at some point.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

I'm waiting on the new RAM cradle, still using an iPad Air 2 in the meantime. I would actually prefer something new at the ipad air 2 size as my only issue is performance and battery issues, however everything is bigger these days. Given the increase in usable screen in the new minis, it's close.. but TBH I hate the thumb crap and just want a home button that unlocks with a PIN.

So far with the mini 6 I've had an annoying habit of resting my thumb on the print reader to unlock, but actually clicking the button... which then locks it.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:I got a 6 in the first week it was out. I just now received a notification from RAM of imminent release of a compatible cradle, similar to the ones provides for a large array of iPads. These cradles work the best for me.

I will still use my pro 11 as primary, as it provides bigger target areas for one's fat fingers and I've found a way to make it work well in my DA40. Me being me, I'll probably go back and forth as time goes by, even mounting both at some point.
Which cradle do they have for the iPad mini 6? I’m using the universal one I bought from Oshkosh and it works out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

I upgraded from my old G4 to G6 and I'm happy with the performance and bit larger screen.
I've been using a real notepad+pen for many years but this time I gave it a try on the Apple Pencil.
It's handy but I feel bit awkward to write on the mini on the RAM X-mount.
Also sometimes it becomes hard to write due to vibration (especially with the ground RPM).
I'll keep using for a while to see how I like it.

For the pencil holder, I added a magnet mount for smartphones. It holds the pencil within my reach.
Attachments
IMG_5469.jpg
IMG_5624.jpg
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

This is the one I have currently, note the iPad mini can set under the panel reflection cover perfectly without interfering the flight control. iPad mini is better than the iPad Pro 10 inch I had before.
Also, I noticed that the mount I had on the flight deck vibrates a lot during the flight. It’s much better to have the arm mounted on the window instead. Image

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

yl472401 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 pm
Rich wrote:I got a 6 in the first week it was out. I just now received a notification from RAM of imminent release of a compatible cradle, similar to the ones provides for a large array of iPads. These cradles work the best for me.

Which cradle do they have for the iPad mini 6? I’m using the universal one I bought from Oshkosh and it works out just fine.

They call them EZ rollr cradles. Specifically made for each physical variant. The one for the 6 will be available shortly. They all look similar. I don't have a plain picture of one, but this view of my pro 11 mounted in its cradle gives a bit of an idea. They are built to avoid interfering with any controls, speakers, cameras, etc. and allow for the apple pencil 2 as well. There's one for the first 3 minis, another for the 4/5 and one imminent for the 6.
iPad Pro 11.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:
yl472401 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 pm

They call them EZ rollr cradles. Specifically made for each physical variant. The one for the 6 will be available shortly. They all look similar. I don't have a plain picture of one, but this view of my pro 11 mounted in its cradle gives a bit of an idea. They are built to avoid interfering with any controls, speakers, cameras, etc. and allow for the apple pencil 2 as well. There's one for the first 3 minis, another for the 4/5 and one imminent for the 6.
iPad Pro 11.jpg
Got it. I’ll get one as well when it comes out.

arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

I didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing!
yl472401 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:48 pm Also, I noticed that the mount I had on the flight deck vibrates a lot during the flight. It’s much better to have the arm mounted on the window instead.