G1000 NXi Phase III

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: G1000 NXi Phase III

Post by VickersPilot »

from the feature list on page 1, what is "Barometric Altitude Preselect Mode" ?

Do we know if the "Data Logging" improvements will include fuel in the Aux Tanks or TKS levels?
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

VickersPilot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:34 pm what is "Barometric Altitude Preselect Mode" ?
When you are descending from the flight levels with the altimeter in standard, you can pre-select the altimeter that you need to use after the transition level. When you get there, you just press the baro button and it switches. It's useful, especially if the transition level is low and you'll be busy around there.

In North America, where the transition level is always FL180, you'd almost never use it.
sparky
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: TBC
Airports:

Post by sparky »

Does anybody know what is the current status or timeline for the G1000 NXI Phase III software in the DA62?

I know back in November Diamond issued a note on the page below as follows:

"As things currently stand, we are aiming to complete Garmin G1000 NXi Phase III implementation for all applicable airframes within the end of Q2/2023."

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... s-for-you/
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

I heard they decoupled the GWX 75 radar from phase III, to certify it faster. For me, that implies we’ll wait quite a bit more for phase III, sadly.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I heard possibly the end of the year for Phase III, everything dependent upon Transport Canada. It was the same situation with Phase II and perhaps our attention should focus rather more on bombarding Transport Canada. Thankfully, the DA50 is with the Austrian authorities.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

I was at Diamond Canada a few weeks ago (picked up DA40NG) and asked specifically about Phase III, and yes Transport Canada is what Diamond is waiting for. Transport Canada reps were at the factory and I joked if I could go ask them about Phase III --- I think Diamond shares the same frustration, but has to walk a fine line too. There was some discussion about decoupling the radar that had been done, which seemed to help move things faster either for radar or phase III, or both. I didn't quite understand the reasoning. However it still seemed like it could be any day for approval.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

FYI, one of the most useful features of NXi Phase III software (which I'm fortunate enough to have installed on my Epic E1000 with NXi) and coming for Diamonds is *animated* NEXRAD for SiriusXM weather. The MFD map shows the most recent 3-4 NEXRAD images, and repeatedly cycles quickly thru them -- so you can watch storms grow or shrink, and easily see (extrapolate) where bad weather is heading. Sadly this Phase III animation feature is not available with free ADS-B/FIS-B NEXRAD for those who lack optional GDL69A SXM units in their aircraft.

Separately, for what might be coming from Garmin after NXi Phase III, take a look at this demo video from Oshkosh last week showing Garmin's autoland/autothrottle operating on a King Air with G1000 NXi. Ignoring autoland and autothrottle, at the 3:00 minute mark you'll see G1000 NXi displaying a new 3D view of taxiways and runways on the PFD while taxiing on the ground -- a view that goes way beyond today's runway-only synthetic vision (SVT). Very cool...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMlFVNqD0oA
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

The taxi view is really interesting indeed. Gulfstream has had that for a while.

I have animated Nexrad on the Cirrus, which is really cool indeed. ForeFlight has that with ADS-B, so I don't miss it that much on the DA62.

What I really miss is visual approaches.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I also asked about Phase III at OSH and didn’t get much more visibility other than “by the end of 2023.” I agree that visual approaches is perhaps the most useful of the features but I am also looking forward to the GWX8000. It was also interesting to see autothrottles and autoland for the King Air with the most recent NXi software, although I’m not entirely sure how cost-effective either of those will be for the Diamond twins or whether DAI will pursue them (or whether Transport Canada could approve them in under 10 years anyway…).

Cheers
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

I'd happy if they released rudder bias at least. Garmin has that for the King Airs. With the YD servo, it's just software.