Current IFR rating?

Group opinion recorded by the community.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Current IFR rating

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 92
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Current IFR rating?

Post by Boatguy »

This is a brief survey and a possible precursor to a more complete owner survey. The two questions are which airplane you own, and if you have a current instrument rating. Thank you for your contribution.

Russ
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Re: Current IFR rating?

Post by CBeak »

2005 DA40. Legacy G1000 and KAP 140. Not instrument rated.
CBeak
N614DS 05 DA40
Legacy G1000 ; KAP 140; GTX 345R
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

2002 DA40. Steam gauge with Aspen Pro Max, synthetic vision, traffic, XM weather, and WAAS. No autopilot (would pay a lot to get one if it was possible).

IFR-rated and current.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Glad to see all these instrument-rated pilots. When I was training and studied the Nail Report I was determined not to be in the largest slice of the pie chart of fatal accidents (VFR rated pilot into IMC).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

VFR into IMC is def a concern of mine since I'm still VFR and studying for IFR, although slowly progressing.
I've noticed that the DA40 is quite a capable aircraft with the G1000 and pre programmed approach guidance. spacial disorientation is def a thing and could be very dangerous when the pilot is not use to the flying solely by instrument references and stick strictly to the approach chart to avoid obstacles. I flew a few times at night where I think I wouldn't want to with steam gauges. Worse scenario, I would go with the OROCA with I'm close to the airport and use pattern altitude when I'm in the pattern.
I think the most dangerous thing could be the obstacles that's near the airport ?? :scratch:
Colin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:56 pm Glad to see all these instrument-rated pilots. When I was training and studied the Nail Report I was determined not to be in the largest slice of the pie chart of fatal accidents (VFR rated pilot into IMC).
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

There’s nothing more fun that shooting approaches in actual. I also like puzzling out interesting approach and SID/STAR plates. The instrument rating opened up a whole new dimension in aviation when I got it in 2017. Don’t get me wrong, I love flying on beautiful clear days (did an Angel Flight yesterday, Houston to Muscle Shoals, not a cloud in the sky either way). But flying in the system and being current and hopefully proficient in instrument procedures just really makes you a better pilot. Highly recommended if you haven’t done it yet… its a lot of work and takes some time but in the end, its well worth it.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

When I had my PP certificate and was making friends at SMO I asked each pilot I talked to if they had their rating. The first six who said yes I asked how the training was. EVERY SINGLE ONE said, "Hardest thing I've ever done." The last one I was so surprised that it was the same answer over and over so I said, "What do you do?" "I'm a neurosurgeon."

I stopped asking people.

The combination of being a computer person, an architect, and having the G1000 made it so that it was not a big deal. I did not feel that it was harder than getting the PP. It made me infinitely more comfortable in the plane.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

VFR into IMC: learn to turn on the autopilot. On one of the first HND – SMO flights we came over a ridge into the LA basin (40kts of wind over the ridge, does everyone remember the guidance for that? it was fresh in mind for my brother and I). There was a blanket of clouds, but a nice big hole right below us. It was evening and you could see the whole cloudy blanket glowing from the lights below. My brother dove toward the hole. Just as we went below the tops of the clouds he realized the bottom of the hole was treetops on the foothills we were coming over. (This is apparently known as "a sucker hole." It worked.) He leveled out and we went right into the layer of clouds. In thirty seconds I had the autopilot turned on and he was confessing to the controller that we had "inadvertent IMC flight." The controller was helpful and dropped us out of the clouds over the Brackett Field.

Turn on the autopilot, watch the speed. Put it in heading mode and turn on terrain on your moving map.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

The combination of being a computer person, an architect, and having the G1000 made it so that it was not a big deal.
I finished my IR maybe 4 days ago now, and I will say that instrument training is way way harder without GFC700 and synthetic vision, which may explain the discrepancy. The first half of my training was no autopilot allowed all raw data, and balancing that load is tough stuff.

IFR with autopilot is very straightforward as the difficult part of IFR flight is task management, IMO. The second half of my training was "real world" flying and it was trivial in comparison.

I will add that I'm a way better pilot as a result of my instrument rating. Better staying on altitude, better at planning, better at staying on airspeed, better at landing, better at staying ahead of the plane. Unequivocal recommendation if you have the time and money.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

dant wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 pmbetter at staying on airspeed
Funny first time instruction from ATC today in a DA40NG "restrict speed to 120kts or below"!

I've regularly received a "best forward speed" from ATC in crowded airspace, but never gotten a speed restriction. Watch those Diamonds, they're slippery!