1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Gregory
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N381f
Airports:

Ipad Mini Mount Recommendations for DA 40

Post by Tz19 »

Hello, I am looking to rent a DA 40 for my instrument training. I recently bought an iPad Mini but need to get a mount. What is a good mount and setup to use in the DA 40? Unfortunately since I'm renting the mount can't be anything with screws. Thanks for the help.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Ipad Mini Mount Recommendations for DA 40

Post by Rich »

Tz19 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 pm Hello, I am looking to rent a DA 40 for my instrument training. I recently bought an iPad Mini but need to get a mount. What is a good mount and setup to use in the DA 40? Unfortunately since I'm renting the mount can't be anything with screws. Thanks for the help.
Generally suction-cup based mounts are probably the best for your situation. I use RAM mount setups, available directly from RAM or numerous 3rd parties. If yours is the new 6-th generation mini the RAM EZ-ROLLR cradle for it is not yet available, but soon will be. In the meantime you would need to use one of the universal variants. There is a loonngg- running thread regard iPads here on this site in Diamond Gadgets and Extras.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Here is the thread I mentioned:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3281
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Just curious, but I believe you can get most or all of your instrument rating in your DA-20 depending on how it is equipped if you want to save some money and get it done more quickly. Downside is that you won't get any 'actual' and some of your ATC communications will be 'simulated' (like they would most likely be on the check ride). You can always take transition training later if you plan to fly IFR on a different aircraft.
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

I use an iPad mini for approach plates, but I don't use a mount. The iPad simply rests on my leg (or is clamped onto a kneeboard), or is stowed beside me in the pilot seat or in the "map pocket" in front of the seat when not in use. I tried a RAM suction X mount, but I found the iPad to be rather obtrusive in the cockpit, and the suction mount tended to come unstuck from time to time. With G1000, I don't really find any need for the iPad apart from the plates.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

I've had good luck with the suction cup mounts for the occasions I've used them. This should be OK for the short durations (a couple of hours at a time) you'll use it.

Mounting it somehow is useful rather than just plunking it down somewhere out of sight. In such a case when you want to refer to it you'll find you have to pick it up in one hand, operate the screen with the other and fly the airplane with your remaining hand. :D
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Johnrschaefer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:16 pm I use an iPad mini for approach plates, but I don't use a mount. The iPad simply rests on my leg (or is clamped onto a kneeboard), or is stowed beside me in the pilot seat or in the "map pocket" in front of the seat when not in use.
How can you fly approach with plates on your knee? How do you cross check distances and altitudes? How can you switch view down to plates and back to instruments and then outside approaching minima and all that at least few times during the approach?
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

I had my iPad fail in flight during instrument training a couple of times and used either my phone or my instructor ipad for plates, and while you _can_ do the cross checks Emir mentions, I dramatically prefer to mount it.

Currently I have a honkin Ipad Air 2 mounted with a suction cup just above the pilot storm window and the size doesn't bother me. Waiting on the cradle mount from RAM for the iPad mini 6.
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 pm How can you fly approach with plates on your knee? How do you cross check distances and altitudes? How can you switch view down to plates and back to instruments and then outside approaching minima and all that at least few times during the approach?
Not ever having had another option, I think it’s likely that I do all the cross checks when briefing the approach and then don’t cross check as many times during the approach as I might if the approach plate were at eye level. Maybe I wouldn’t have to commit as many things like minima and missed approach procedures largely to memory as well.

In my experience you just get used to doing whatever you have to do in your particular plane. Flying more advanced planes can then be very eye opening.

best,
dan
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

With GNS navigators the iPad augments the panel display in important ways beyond "briefing the approach". I defy you to memorize the altitude associated with every waypoint on an RNAV approach. (I've flow approaches with 8 of these.) The GNS does not display these at all. FF puts these all on the map even without the approach plate displayed.

The iPad is also my (and many others') only option for displaying ADS-B IN traffic.