1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Dennis
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N400ME
Airports: HPN

Autoland

Post by flymu2 »

Has there been any talk about putting Autoland in the DA62. It would make a big difference to my wife. :roll:
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Autoland

Post by CFIDave »

IMHO Autoland on a DA62 is a long ways off, despite the computerized (FADEC) engine controls.

It's complicated by having 2 engines. Existing Garmin Autoland is only for single-engine turbines: Cirrus SF50 jet, Piper M600 turboprop, and the single-engine TBM 940 turboprop.

Furthermore, the DA62 Type Certificate is held by Diamond Canada, which has to deal with Transport Canada (rather than the FAA or EASA) as its principal regulatory authority for initial certification of a feature like autoland. For that reason, Diamond is behind other aircraft manufacturers in getting new G1000 software features certified.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
flymu2
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Dennis
Aircraft Registration: N400ME
Airports: HPN

Post by flymu2 »

Understood Dave.

The impetus for my question was seeing that there are already autonomous DA62's operating in military missions. I was thinking (hoping :) ) that the technology could be migrated to civilian applications.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

There's an Optionally Piloted Vehicle version of the DA42 MPP, using technology developed by Aurora Flight Sciences (in Manassas, VA) -- where they install a removable "mechanical co-pilot" in the right seat that can fly the plane autonomously. Separately, Diamond Austria built a one-off prototype autonomous flight DA42 years ago as a research project.

But nothing related to autoland or autonomous operation of which I'm aware for the DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Also, Garmin has not shown any interest (AFAIK) in developing the auto land system for the G1000. All the other aircraft with the system use the G3000. So you're likely to see it first (with auto-throttles) in the Phenoms and HondaJet, for example, probably before you see it in the Diamonds. Those biz jets can likely absorb the incremental cost increases associated with such a project more easily than the DA62, which is already priced at the top end of the piston market. Diamond did demonstrate a form of auto land with a DA42 a few years back, but it was kind of a kludge and I don't think they ever seriously considered pursuing certification.

And remember, Diamond can certify this kind of thing first with EASA, which would make both the FAA's and Transport Canada's job a little easier...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

MackAttack wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:20 pm Also, Garmin has not shown any interest (AFAIK) in developing the auto land system for the G1000.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Garmin Autoland emerge soon for the Cirrus SR22(T), since there have been many rumors of that. The Cirrus SR22 uses G1000 NXi (marketed as Perspective+), which shares much of its hardware and software with the G3000.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

The two platforms do share technology, but the 22/22T engines would require some intervention to develop an electronic throttle interface/FADEC emulator. That’s the missing piece for the traditional pistons in this space. That technology does exist for the PT6, for example, which is how IS&S has developed auto throttle for the legacy PC12s and the King Airs… it would be great if they could do it but it will be expensive so I’m not holding my breath.