2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

New DA62 x words of wisdom from seasoned owners

Post by Jitters79 »

About to take delivery of a new DA62, I close in a couple of days. I’ll be based at KBFI in Seattle. Missions are flying up and down the coast and over to eastern Washington and Oregon.

Looking for words of wisdom, or advice, from owners.

I’m taking ownership exactly 1 year from when I placed the order.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: New DA62 x words of wisdom from seasoned owners

Post by Boatguy »

Congratulations! I also have one on order so I'm curious how your actual delivery date compares to your expectations when you placed the order? How was communications with the distributor through the waiting period?
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

You were fortunate to have only a 1-year wait. When I placed my order in June of last year, it was 12-15 month wait, and right now, its 18 months-plus, as I understand it ...
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

I placed mine in September 2021 and at that point it was Q3 2023 delivery. 2 years. And thats before Garmin said they were having a hard time shipping avionics. Hopefully I'll "just" have to wait 2 years.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

It's a 2-year wait right now for a new DA62, which is why there are essentially zero used DA62s for sale right now. Sellers of used DA62s are able to get close to new aircraft prices for their planes, since there are buyers who don't want to wait years for new DA62 delivery.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Bryce »

Luckily my G36 Bonanza still works great for me in the meantime.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

The same applies for premium cars where two year old models are selling for the price of a new car unless you are prepared to wait one year for delivery.
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Bryce »

Whats even more annoying is a dealer has had multiple used low time 62's listed for sale. When I call they say "sorry its not available, but we can order you a new one. Where are you located?" Then it's "sorry, you don't live in my territory so I can't sell you a new one." If the plane's not for sale take it off your website and remove it from the online listing services!
KTZ Pilot
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NTBD
Airports: KONX KBCT

Post by KTZ Pilot »

Perhaps not as applicable to those with new DA62 already on order, but I recently posted elsewhere my recommendations for considering comfort for some passengers in that aircraft. Here is the post:

<quote> If considering a DA62, whether new or used, I’d strongly suggest having family members and other frequent passengers spend some significant time getting in and out of the aircraft and sitting in the seats, especially the middle row. (The third row seats have very little headroom and most adults cannot use.)

The steps up from the ground to the metal step and from there to the wing walk are a quite a bit higher than the Cirrus and are not comfortable for some, particularly those who are vertically challenged or who have knee flexion issues. Experiment with step stools for those who need a little extra boost. The placement of the hand hold on the right outside fuselage (i.e., slightly behind the step up from the metal step to the wing) is OK exiting but not really helpful for climbing up

The middle row of seats are very comfortable for some. Others will find the angle of the seat and the distance from the seat edge to the floor uncomfortable. Even the copilot’s seat is less comfortable for some than the Cirrus. Made for longer legged Austrians? I would definitely recommend the removable stick option for the non-pilot spouse.

All that said, the 62 is an absolutely amazing plane, and I truly enjoyed owning and flying. Selling this past year was a tough decision, but it was clear that the Cirrus was the better fit for the majority of my missions. The sizable premium I received over what I had paid definitely helped sooth the pain of parting. I only wish I had held off until the current year-end price craziness! <end quote>

I have several items relating to the 62, including a rear baggage tray to replace the “kiddy seats” in the third row. I never reached the level of diamonds on this forum needed to permit me to sell items here, but would be happy to return any PMs or email me at Timothyflanigan at yahoo dot com.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Jitters79 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:11 pm About to take delivery of a new DA62, I close in a couple of days. I’ll be based at KBFI in Seattle. Missions are flying up and down the coast and over to eastern Washington and Oregon.

Looking for words of wisdom, or advice, from owners.

I’m taking ownership exactly 1 year from when I placed the order.
Congratulations! I've had mine on order since mid-January 2021 and my delivery date has slipped several times, from what was supposed to be August/September of this year to, as of last week's phone call slipping it yet again, now February/March 2022. What's your serial number? Canadian build?