Modern Avionics and the Instrument Pilot - Part 1 Lateral Navigation and the Flight Director

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Modern Avionics and the Instrument Pilot - Part 1 Lateral Navigation and the Flight Director

Post by waynemcc999 »

If you’re a current instrument student or an experienced instrument pilot upgrading from a 6 pack… modern glass panels open a whole new world of precision and automation. This short video series is intended to add some clarity to concepts and scenarios for using modern avionics in our instrument procedures. In part 1 we examine lateral navigation plus how to program and monitor the Flight Director/Autopilot combo. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek Pilot
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Re: Modern Avionics and the Instrument Pilot - Part 1 Lateral Navigation and the Flight Director

Post by p3dave »

Video's and discussions like these are great. A flight director is a wonderful thing but then I remember having only VOR's and NDB's with an OBS and an ADF to use. Sadly my G1000/KAP140 combo does not have a flight director. Once you get used to it and don't have it, the return to raw data is work as you have to consider the wind to select a correct heading to maintain lateral course as opposed to just keeping the flight director tight!
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Re: Modern Avionics and the Instrument Pilot - Part 1 Lateral Navigation and the Flight Director

Post by waynemcc999 »

p3dave wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 pm Video's and discussions like these are great. A flight director is a wonderful thing but then I remember having only VOR's and NDB's with an OBS and an ADF to use. Sadly my G1000/KAP140 combo does not have a flight director. Once you get used to it and don't have it, the return to raw data is work as you have to consider the wind to select a correct heading to maintain lateral course as opposed to just keeping the flight director tight!
Dave, thanks for watching... and I fully agree that the Flight Director makes hand flying approaches and departures much easier, and would be sorely missed if I didn't have it 8) .
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot