Forum upgraded

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Re: Forum upgraded

Post by Pehu »

Chris wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm There should be a "Mark topics read" button inside of each forum. Are you looking for something that marks the entire site as read?
When I clicked "unread posts" there was a "mark all read" option. So the forum presents me all unread posts, I will go through the items I want to read and then I can mark the rest as read in a single click.

That button/link seems to be in it's place now, thank you :) Wasn't there yesterday or then I was just being blind.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Here's an interesting change in behavior with regard to email notifications.
Formerly the subject line would begin: Topic reply notification -
Since the upgrade it starts with: Reply in

But this is really curious:
For replies in the "Crazy Pricing" topic, when I receive the email in Thunderbird (my email reader on my Mac) it looks like this: =?US-ASCII?Q?Reply in "Crazy Pricing?"?=
The subject is displayed OK using the gmail app on my iPhone and looking directly at gmail from my browser (Firefox) from my Mac. It's only this one topic and only when viewed using Thunderbird.
Is this a big deal? No. But it is a puzzlement. :scratch:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Rich wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:56 pmHere's an interesting change in behavior with regard to email notifications.

For replies in the "Crazy Pricing" topic, when I receive the email in Thunderbird (my email reader on my Mac) it looks like this: =?US-ASCII?Q?Reply in "Crazy Pricing?"?=
The subject is displayed OK using the gmail app on my iPhone and looking directly at gmail from my browser (Firefox) from my Mac. It's only this one topic and only when viewed using Thunderbird.
I noticed the change in Subject text, too - not a problem, just curious. I suspect maybe your issue is related to the question mark "?" in the topic title, which may mess up Thunderbolt when it tries to format that string as a link? Just a guess...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Interesting. I wonder if that's related to the Unicode/UTF-8 support in the new version interacting badly with something. I'll see if I can replicate it here. I have Thunderbird for Mac but I don't typically use it for my DAN address. Should be simple enough to set it up, though.

If it's not too much trouble, forward the email you got as an attachment (i.e. not just a simple forward) to admin@diamondaviators.net so I can take a look at all of the headers.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Rick wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm
Rich wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:56 pmHere's an interesting change in behavior with regard to email notifications.

I noticed the change in Subject text, too - not a problem, just curious. I suspect maybe your issue is related to the question mark "?" in the topic title, which may mess up Thunderbolt when it tries to format that string as a link? Just a guess...
)
You may be onto something here. If someone could bump the “Panthera” topic (which also has a “?” In the title) I could see if that behaves similarly.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

Thanks, Rich, for sending the attachment. I also created a thread in a test forum and was able to reproduce the same behavior there.

From what I have gathered so far, the prefix =?US-ASCII?Q? specifies a character encoding for the following string. The terminator is supposed to be ?=. (See RFC 2047 if anybody is intersted in the gory details).

My guess is that the extra '?' inside the string is messing up the parser so it can't properly decode the text. It seems likely that phpBB is mis-handling this case. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see what happens if I create a thread that is terminated with ?= to see if it "fixes" the issue.

I may be able to work around this until phpBB fixes the issue (or until I figure something else out).
Chris
KHIO
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

And sure enough, somebody has already reported this as a bug in phpBB 3.3.5.
Chris
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Here's another case:

=?US-ASCII?Q?Reply in "DA40 in Seattle area?"?=

The question mark in the "real" subject is a factor in the anomaly. Didn't happen prior to the upgrade. This is hardly a high-impact problem, of course.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Chris »

This email subject line bug should be fixed now. I updated the forum to phpBB 3.3.7 today, and it at least seems to handle my test case properly.
Chris
KHIO