Moderators: Kai, Rick, Lance Murray, Mr. Gadget

blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Interested in a Powered LEMO Adapter?

Post by blsewardjr »

I've looked at similar connectors. I think Lightspeed is wrong about this. This adaptor appears to be one that simply allows you to use a GA plug headset with LEMO plugs, i.e., audio, but not power. I would expect using a Lightspeed without batteries would mean no ANR.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

I must admit I wasn't very confident in their claims. I don't have a LEMO source otherwise I'd try it, for science.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

dant wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:47 am I must admit I wasn't very confident in their claims. I don't have a LEMO source otherwise I'd try it, for science.
These adapters do have their place. I was just looking at the DA40NG price list and it appears that, as standard, Dual-Plug and LEMO are provided for the front seats but only LEMO for the rear. There are lots of DP headsets around without provision for ship-power.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Sure, but I specifically asked them about powering the ANR off the adapter.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

dant wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:05 am Sure, but I specifically asked them about powering the ANR off the adapter.
I assumed none of these would work. You must have had the bad luck to get someone unaware. The guy I communicated with made no such useless suggestion, but requested my serial number. After a couple of days he told me it couldn't be converted because it was too old a model and sent me info in the special upgrade offer, which I took advantage of. Mine was an original Zulu, and the current one is Zulu3. There was at least one intermediate Zulu (Zulu 2) which might be convertible, so I'd push back and have whoever it was look further into it.

In the case of the adapter we're talking about here, there are several sources (at least at the marketing level) of things that look like it. Some of the sources explicitly state that it won't support the ANR function, others are silent on the matter. The one I lucked into on the first try almost supports it but is silent on the fact that it doesn't provide ships power.

BTW, for anyone using dual-plug extension cables: Some of these have continuity between the mike tip at the plug end to the jack at the other. But some do not. I happen to have one of each lurking in the hangar. The one that does have that continuity works with this adapter.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

So wifey loves her new setup with a Zulu 3 + one of my prototypes which came out to be 5 ft. long. It allows me to route it and my BluLink + A20 behind and around the seats. This cleaned out the snake nest of the console area and get the three control units where they're out of the way. Velcro was required, of course:
Headset Boxes.jpeg
Control boxes go untouched except for tapping Bluetooth button at startup.
Oshkosh99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N86RK
Airports: EDMA + NC26

Post by Oshkosh99 »

Has anyone tried your adapter in a DA42? I have a 2007 DA42Tdi converted to NG, and (I thought to be future proof) I bought Bose A20s with Bluetooth and Lemo connectors, and also bought some duel plug to Lemo adapter cords. Unfortunately those have molded connectors so I can't just open them to try it out.
So I'd be interested in your adapter cables to avoid that battery need...
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Oshkosh99 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 pm Has anyone tried your adapter in a DA42? I have a 2007 DA42Tdi converted to NG, and (I thought to be future proof) I bought Bose A20s with Bluetooth and Lemo connectors, and also bought some duel plug to Lemo adapter cords. Unfortunately those have molded connectors so I can't just open them to try it out.
For the eventual "production powered LEMO adapter"... thus far we've only used it in my 2008 DA40 (yea, no batteries!). My friend Steve is reviewing bids from commercial suppliers and hopes to be able to provide an update to DAN soon on price/availability.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Oshkosh99 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:11 pm Has anyone tried your adapter in a DA42? I have a 2007 DA42Tdi converted to NG, and (I thought to be future proof) I bought Bose A20s with Bluetooth and Lemo connectors, and also bought some duel plug to Lemo adapter cords. Unfortunately those have molded connectors so I can't just open them to try it out.
From my digging in the AMM's this will work. Check out the G1000 diagrams in the AMM for the variations, such as D60-9231-60-01_01 for the DA42 TDI. As far as I've found every Diamond dual-plug setup will work, save a particular early DA20 configuration. The critical thing is providing "tip" power to the tip of the mic jack. I cannibalized a mic plug to allow access to check it in my plane. If you're handy enough with a VOM you could do it by inserting an appropriate probe into a mic jack.

The adapters you have will likely not provide ANR power (LEMO pin #1) but otherwise work. Easy enough to test. Take the batteries out of the A20 and plug it in.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Quick update: Steve is now receiving quotes on the production LEMO adapter... and hopes to be able to announce price and availability in the next week or so.

Reminder: in addition to the adapter, you will need a LEMO-equipped headset, either:
-- a headset that came originally equipped with a LEMO plug
-- or, a headset that you have converted from a dual plug by purchasing a new mic/cord/LEMO, e.g. this Bose mic/cord/LEMO (or equivalent from Lightspeed, etc).

Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot