5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Interested in a Powered LEMO Adapter?

Post by waynemcc999 »

** Tired of having to replace batteries in your ANR headset? **

First and foremost, kudos to @Rich for investigating the powered dual female plugs in Diamonds and the ability to create an adapter cable to use powered-LEMO headsets (and avoid having to frequently replace the ANR headset batteries).

Following Rich’s thread, my good pilot friend Steve prepared a prototype Powered LEMO Adapter for my DA40… and it works great to power both ANR and Bluetooth in the headset (photo below).
powered-lemo-prototype.jpg
Components:
  • An aviation ANR headset with 6-pin LEMO plug (e.g. Bose A20/LEMO, Lightspeed Zulu/LEMO; ~US$1,000)
-or- Replacement cord/mic/controller with 6-pin LEMO plug for existing dual-plug ANR headset (~US$200-to-US$300)
  • Powered LEMO Adapter for Diamonds (price TBD)
Steve is a semi-retired electrical engineer and longtime entrepreneur in developing and delivering after-market avionics products. He has suppliers both stateside and internationally from whom he is requesting quotes to commercially produce these Powered LEMO Adapters. Of course, the price for such an adapter depends heavily on the quantity that he would order to be manufactured. Therefore, with this thread we’re hoping to get a rough idea of interest among the DAN community.

Question 1: It appears that all DA40/DA40NG aircraft have power to the female dual plugs and therefore would be candidates for this powered LEMO solution. Does anyone know if DA42 and DA62 aircraft also have power to female dual plugs??

Questions 2 & 3: If you have an interest is a commercial-quality Powered LEMO Adapter for Diamonds:
  • Which Diamond aircraft do you fly?
  • Assuming the Powered LEMO Adapter for Diamonds works in your aircraft, would you expect to be interested in one (pilot), two (pilot and copilot), or four (all seats) adapters for your aircraft?
Any questions, concerns, suggestions??
Many thanks to this awesome DAN forum!
Wayne McClelland
Steve Silverman
Last edited by waynemcc999 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Re: Interested in a Powered LEMO Adapter?

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Very cool.

2. DA40
3. I would buy 2 and maybe one more as a spare depending on the price.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Great news. If the wiring diagrams are to be believed the DA42's, 62's and 50's are also wired this way. Even some 20's. They tap off the power feed to the audio panel.

I cannibalized a mike plug to check if there was ship's voltage available to the tip.

Some dual-plug extenders can be non-destructively opened up to simplify this test.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Dumb question - this adapter will work in standard jacks as well, correct?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Maybe make this into a poll where it's easier to track numbers of those interested. BTW, it's not just Zulu and A20s that can use LEMO plugs. But getting some of these converted to do so might be problematic.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Diamond_Dan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:32 pm Dumb question - this adapter will work in standard jacks as well, correct?
Not so dumb. but I believe they will fit most (though they will not feed power), as the mike tip is typically not connected to anything. Worst case is also get one of the models already available that leaves pin 1 sterile.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Diamond_Dan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:32 pm Dumb question - this adapter will work in standard jacks as well, correct?
@Diamond_Dan, yes, the adapter plugs into the existing dual female jacks in your Diamond aircraft (as Rich notes, likely all or most all Diamond aircraft). Then you plug any LEMO ANR headset (Bose, Lightspeed, whatever) into the adapter.

If you currently have an ANR headset (e.g. Bose A20) that uses dual plugs... then in addition to the adapter you also need to purchase from that manufacturer a LEMO cord/mic replacement (e.g. this Bose LEMO cord/mic).

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted the @Diamond_Dan's question about "standard jacks"... and (no surprise) Rich correctly answered the intended question. At least in the case of the Bose A20/LEMO... if you take that headset with the Powered Adapter to a non-Diamond aircraft (say a C182) and plug it into the dual jacks, then that headset will work, however for that non-Diamond aircraft you'll likely need to put batteries in the Bose A20/LEMO for the ANR and Bluetooth to work.
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Diamond_Dan »

waynemcc999 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:47 pm
EDIT: I think I misinterpreted the @Diamond_Dan's question about "standard jacks"... and (no surprise) Rich correctly answered the intended question. At least in the case of the Bose A20/LEMO... if you take that headset with the Powered Adapter to a non-Diamond aircraft (say a C182) and plug it into the dual jacks, then that headset will work, however for that non-Diamond aircraft you'll likely need to put batteries in the Bose A20/LEMO for the ANR and Bluetooth to work.
Yes, Rich got it. I already have the LEMO on my A20 with the Bose 2 plug adapter. I was hoping not to switch back and forth every time I rode in a non-Diamond airplane.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Very cool! My DC ONE-X does not have a 6 pin adapter but given my previous experience with David Clark, I'm sure I can send my headset in to be modded for a reasonable price. I already need to send it in for repair anyway.

2. DA40
3. One or two, depending on price
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

2. DA40
3. One
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA