Moderators: Kai, Rick, Lance Murray, Mr. Gadget

Chip&Al
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chip
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N506DS
Airports: KVKX

Re: Interested in a Powered LEMO Adapter?

Post by Chip&Al »

Wayne, Definitely interested for pilot/copilot positions. I fly a DA40.
N506DS - Red & White 2002 DA40 - 40.206 - Powerflow - Aspen Evolution 2000 - Avidyne IFD540/440 - Lynx NGT9000
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Quick update: I checked out today the latest prototype... all works nicely with the Bose A20 LEMO. We'll try the adapter next week with the Lightspeed Zulu and report back. Steve should then be able to select a vendor for a first run of production adapters. I'll continue to update.
Thanks for your interest,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

Wayne,
I would be interested in purchasing two for sure.

Just to confirm @waynemcc999, your adapter takes the power already present at the female receptacles in a Diamond. I assume this is the mic power used to run the condenser microphone. There are a few small headphones out there that pick up that voltage for ANR, but they are not as quality, and are on-top-of the ear, not around the ear headsets.

So, no work is needed in the the airplane, and if you already have headsets with Limo connectors then your adapter ports the power to the correct lug in the Limo. Correct?
Thanks,
Dave S.
Ohio
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

DaveS1900 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:34 pm Wayne,

Just to confirm @waynemcc999, your adapter takes the power already present at the female receptacles in a Diamond. I assume this is the mic power used to run the condenser microphone. There are a few small headphones out there that pick up that voltage for ANR, but they are not as quality, and are on-top-of the ear, not around the ear headsets.

So, no work is needed in the the airplane, and if you already have headsets with Limo connectors then your adapter ports the power to the correct lug in the Limo. Correct?
Thanks,
Dave S.
Ohio
You've worded this in a way that seems inaccurate but your essential conclusion is correct. As the idiot who initiated all this I can confirm: No modification to the plane. It takes the ship power available at the tip connector of the headset female microphone jacks and provides it to pin #1 of the LEMO connector. Just plug it in and enjoy.

This not likely to work with the hand-held microphone jack.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a convertor that takes the power from the female receptors in the DA40 and powers the ANR part of the Zulu headset, not just the microphone, i.e., allows me to dispense with batteries.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:58 pm Just to be clear, I'm looking for a convertor that takes the power from the female receptors in the DA40 and powers the ANR part of the Zulu headset, not just the microphone, i.e., allows me to dispense with batteries.
Yes. I've run my A20 and Blulink without batteries using my clumsy implementation of this gizmo. ANR and Bluetooth worked fine.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Thanks,
Dave S.
Ohio
Dave, thanks for checking in.

Yes, as discovered by Rich, the mic jacks (looks like all 4 of them) in the DA40 (and quite possibly all dual plugs in other Diamond models) has power to them. This seems to have come about to power older Sennheiser ANR headsets.

Correct, this dual-plug to LEMO adapter that my friend Steve is preparing to produce requires no modification to the aircraft. It's simply an adapter... with a male dual plug on one end, and a LEMO female on the other end... and delivers power (and audio of course) to the LEMO-equipped headset.

I'll be keeping everyone updated on how the production progresses.
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by DaveS1900 »

Rich wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Thanks,
Dave S.
Ohio
You've worded this in a way that seems inaccurate but your essential conclusion is correct. As the idiot who initiated all this I can confirm: No modification to the plane. It takes the ship power available at the tip connector of the headset female microphone jacks and provides it to pin #1 of the LEMO connector. Just plug it in and enjoy.

Condenser mics in aviation require power to work. See this from Telex right off their website. This is essentially what you are doing here. You could probably market this to all aviation. GA pilots all have condenser mics in headsets.

"The Airman 8 headset features enhanced ANR (Active Noise Reduction) with even more noise reduction, helping to improve intelligibility and reduce fatigue. The position of the ANR switch has also moved to the forward-facing ear cup side, making it easier to reach the switch without having to remove the headset. A unique feature of the Airman 8 is that it is powered from its microphone system, eliminating the need for batteries or special connectors."
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

DaveS1900 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:26 pm
Rich wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Thanks,
Dave S.
Ohio

Condenser mics in aviation require power to work. See this from Telex right off their website. This is essentially what you are doing here. You could probably market this to all aviation. GA pilots all have condenser mics in headsets.

"The Airman 8 headset features enhanced ANR (Active Noise Reduction) with even more noise reduction, helping to improve intelligibility and reduce fatigue. The position of the ANR switch has also moved to the forward-facing ear cup side, making it easier to reach the switch without having to remove the headset. A unique feature of the Airman 8 is that it is powered from its microphone system, eliminating the need for batteries or special connectors."
Nope. The typical headset jack in an aircraft does not have the tip contact wired to anything. It's historical use is for the push-to-talk circuit as with a hand-held mike. Diamond wires the tip to the audio panel power feed. I've had occasion to open up a few different things. A good example is my original zulu with dual plug connector. It functions just fine with no connection from the tip piece of the microphone into the control unit. This is also true for my Clarity Aloft. It has no ANR function, has no connection to the tip piece and the mike works perfectly. Any power required for the mike to work comes in from the center connector. The wiring diagram for wiring a Bose LEMO panel adapter to a standard headset jack setup:
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 15.29.03.png
Also you can buy dual plug to LEMO adapters from a variety of sources that simply do not connect this tip to pin #1. None of them provide ANR/BT power and still require that you use batteries.
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by DaveS1900 »

Ok, that's good it has the correct voltage and available amps. The mic power was probably not enough.
Dave S.
Ohio