To prime or not to prime

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

p3dave
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Re: To prime or not to prime

Post by p3dave »

Lou wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:28 pm Fair enough, but not for me - engine witchcraft is part of the fun.

When I was a boy car engines flooded all the time in cold weather. There was a certain pride in learning how to deal with it. You removed the air cleaner, and stuck a Bic pen in the carburetor to wedge the choke open. Then you cranked. Sometimes the excess fuel would explode back out of the carb and the pen would be toast.

There is something strangely satisfying about low tech mechanics. The NG is a beautiful machine to be sure, but I worry that at some point tech will suck all the fun out of life. :)
I think we were boys a long time ago! Of course that method was with an automatic choke, with a manual, you were good to go!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: To prime or not to prime

Post by Rich »

I feel like we're trading potato salad recipes :D

I recall the joys of starting certain 60's British motorcycles. Now there were some weird and unreliable procedures :scream:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5