Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: DA62 on order or recently delivered?

Post by ememic99 »

Soareyes wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:16 pm "Imagine $1M car also produced with lot of manual work - do you think the owners of such cars accept this level of problems?"

I would expect more mechanical issues from a Bugatti Veyron than from my Honda but I would also expect Bugatti to bring a team to fix the car in my location or to arrange transportation to a service location.

My wife's Porsche spends way more time in the shop than my Honda. She had it towed in a few weeks ago for the second time in five years. My similar vintage Honda gets an occasional oil change and that is the extent of its service history.

Weird to think that I have a Veyron in the hangar.
The majority of people that I know and who drive expensive (or even not so expensive) cars are not very tolerant in case of repeated failures, especially in warranty period. It’s “fix it immediately and let it not repeat or replace the vehicle or return the money” and European laws support this (I believe it’s same in US).

For many years I used to drive cars in $100-200k range and never, absolutely never, experienced any failure of any part.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

mfdutra wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:16 am It looks like C041 was delivered today and it's already AOG with ECU issues. Come on Diamond. :cry:
Yes, 62.C041 was delivered on Thursday evening to Erie, Colorado (KEIK). At delivery it had 10.8 hrs TT, and no squawks were noted by the ferry pilot. That's my wife and me with the new plane in the hangar that evening. :)

20220505-_DSC3195.jpg
280188826_10225828782253782_5067216344327411249_n.jpg

But when I got in the airplane on Friday morning and fired up the engines to make my first flight as owner, the right engine immediately threw ECU A/B FAIL errors. Nothing we tried and nothing that several Austro mechanics suggested would make them go away, though the ECU A failure did clear briefly after a full-power runup. I spent the day on the phone, running down to Arapahoe Aero (in my A36, ironically) to pick up their lead Diamond tech and bring him back to EIK to download engine data, and running him back down again.

There is no consensus among the Austro experts who’ve examined the data as to what the exact issue is, but we do have a couple of leading candidates. I imagine that a game plan will take shape on Monday and parts will begin to flow this way.
Last edited by photoSteveZ on Sat May 07, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:44 pm If you have taken delivery recently, what kind of USB outlets were installed? USB-A, USB-C, or USB-A & C?

USB-A is definitely past its prime.
62.C041, delivered Thursday 05 May 2022: USB-A :roll:
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

USB-A - hilarious I know!

Just to say congrats on the plane Steve - love the colour scheme! Safe flying.

Ps Diamond will look after you, they do the right thing.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

There is a school of thought that says the planes built in Austria and ferried over have more ferry time over a broader range of conditions; therefore, if the horse is going to throw a shoe early, it might be more likely to happen on a plane ferried from Austria vs. the first 10-15 hours for a new owner from a plane built in Canada … so it’s not the worst thing in the world if you have extra ferry time on an Austrian delivery. At least potentially.

Love the paint scheme! And I’m sure they will get it sorted out for you although it has to be super frustrating after such a long wait …

Good luck!
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Post by thommy152 »

Your plane looks awesome! Hope you get the issues resolved quickly.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Beautiful bird. Congrats!! Keep us posted please. It’s important for us to build some collective knowledge about these little issues. I hope you solve it soon and go enjoy it!

I see you have radar. Did you get the GWX 70 or 75? Did you hear anything from them about the Phase 3 software on the NXi?
Flyingferg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Post by Flyingferg »

Nice looking plane. I am sure Diamond will get the issue sorted out for you quickly. I have serial #C049 due for delivery in August and hopefully it doesn’t get delayed again.

What are your thoughts about the sidewinder tug that you are using? I am thinking about getting one for moving my 62 around.

Thanks
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

VickersPilot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:50 pm USB-A - hilarious I know!

Just to say congrats on the plane Steve - love the colour scheme! Safe flying.

Ps Diamond will look after you, they do the right thing.
I have no doubt the brain trust we’ve activated will sort things out expeditiously. But the whiplash of emotions has been disorienting: the numbing wait as delivery expectations kept slipping, month after month; the excitement when the aircraft left production and entered flight test; the mounting anticipation through the day as the flawless delivery flight crept across the country on FlightAware; the celebratory atmosphere as my friends and I greeted my new plane’s arrival; disbelief as the red CAS alarms popped up after engine start the next morning; mounting disappointment as it dawned on us that we weren’t going anywhere.

As for the USB-A ports: in addition to being nearly obsolete, I’ve found that they don’t deliver quite enough power to maintain the charge level of my 2nd gen 11” iPad Pro unless I turn down the screen brightness.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Flyingferg wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:48 am Nice looking plane. I am sure Diamond will get the issue sorted out for you quickly. I have serial #C049 due for delivery in August and hopefully it doesn’t get delayed again.

What are your thoughts about the sidewinder tug that you are using? I am thinking about getting one for moving my 62 around.

Thanks
I have two Sidewinders, for both my A36 and the DA62, and love them for their clever design and robustness. Be aware that the 62’s weight is a challenge for the power available, though. If you have a sloped apron or a lip at the hangar door it may be marginal. From experience I’ve learned to charge the A36 tug’s battery after every second round trip, and the 62’s after every round trip.