3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N321CK
Airports: 82J

Re: My plane is now in North America!

Post by p3dave »

mfdutra wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 am I have an order to be delivered in the summer. If my plane happens to be made in Austria, is there any chance I could join the ferry flight? That would be a fantastic experience.
Well, as the buyer I would think you have some clout, I would ask, all they can say is no. Found an interesting story on the Diamond site, don't know if this guy was an owner or a reporter. https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... r-service/
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

p3dave wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:24 pm
mfdutra wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 am I have an order to be delivered in the summer. If my plane happens to be made in Austria, is there any chance I could join the ferry flight? That would be a fantastic experience.
Well, as the buyer I would think you have some clout, I would ask, all they can say is no. Found an interesting story on the Diamond site, don't know if this guy was an owner or a reporter. https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/abou ... r-service/
I had never clicked on that link before, but that's *MY* gold DA62 being ferried over from Austria in 2017 (no, I was not onboard). It flew under Austrian registration until delivered to the Canadian factory where I picked it up.

But it *IS* possible for you as a new owner to accompany a Diamond ferry pilot in your plane flying across the Atlantic: I did exactly that back in 2013 when I purchased a new DA42-VI that was built in Austria:
viewtopic.php?t=4438
It was one of the most memorable things I've ever done...flying to Scotland, Iceland, and Greenland.

Some ferry pilots may not be keen on flying 28 hours with a customer/new owner, so you'll need to check with your Diamond distributor to see if it's possible.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

nworthin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm Ordered in March of 2021, promised for November of 2021, revised to December 2021, then "re-promised" for February of 2022. Looks like they will make that last delivery date.

It left Austria January 26 and just arrived in Canada! Will spend a couple of weeks there at Diamond NA for final QA and new N#, then on to Premier at Lauderdale Exec.
More to come on first impressions and the story of how Diamond and Premier dealt with the delays (and a few other problems) later....
Hey, Norm: waiting with bated breath to hear your follow-up after delivery.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Flight Chops has a nice YouTube video series about the ferry flight for a DA62 from Austria (accompanied by a DA42). Worth a watch if you are interested in that sort of thing … as does the DA42 pilot, Micke Lang.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

photoSteveZ wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:54 pm
nworthin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:10 pm Ordered in March of 2021, promised for November of 2021, revised to December 2021, then "re-promised" for February of 2022. Looks like they will make that last delivery date.

It left Austria January 26 and just arrived in Canada! Will spend a couple of weeks there at Diamond NA for final QA and new N#, then on to Premier at Lauderdale Exec.
More to come on first impressions and the story of how Diamond and Premier dealt with the delays (and a few other problems) later....
Hey, Norm: waiting with bated breath to hear your follow-up after delivery.
Gonna have to wait a bit longer. The story got a lot more interesting but the ending hasn't been written yet so I'm gonna wait until then to finish this....