1 Diamond Member
First Name: Troy
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N123NG
Airports: KOCF

Tango airways?

Post by Hylobates »

Hi everyone-
I was flying IFR from Vero Beach FL to Ocala this week in my DA42-VI (G1000Nxi), and in the middle of the flight, ATC gave me new routing that included a T airway (VRB ODDEL T336 to OMMNI to KOCF). I have never been given a T airway before, but I thought no problem...I put ODDEL in the flightplan, pressed "load airway" and discovered that only V airways were listed. I started manually loading all the waypoints (not fun in turbulent IMC) but fortunately another controller just called back and gave me vectors instead to avoid thunderstorms.

Can you load T airways on the G1000? I can't figure out any way. I figure maybe I can enter it on foreflight, and transfer it to the panel (I haven't tried). But it would be nice to know how to do it on the panel itself just in case.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Tango airways?

Post by Rich »

My GNS units have no clue about any airways, V- or T-. But put them in a FF flight plan and when copied from FF (via FlighStream) they magically appear in the GNS’ in the form of all the waypoints, so this should work for you. I’m surprised the G1000 DBs wouldn’t have them in there, though.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Hm, my last routing back from Portsmouth (KPSM) had a T route and I loaded it no problem: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N26 ... /KPSM/KLDJ. DA40, G1000, software 321.23 at the time. I am not sure if I had any T routes before upgrading to 321.23, but I think the software for the NG/VI is even newer than that? I don't have a FlightStream so I would have been in the same position myself.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

There are a couple of references to T Routes in the NXi Pilot's Guide so it seems like they might be there. Perhaps there is a different entry method. I'll try this next time I'm in hangar on the GPU.

They can definitely be loaded in Foreflight. If that doesn't transfer to the panel, the next step is to expand the route (V or T) in Foreflight (long press and Expand) which replaces the V or T route with the relevant waypoints.

Of course flying through busy airspace isn't a good time to try this out for the first time. When I get surprise by ATC (more often that I'd like), I respond "unfamiliar, can you give me a vector" and ATC always accommodates my request which buys me some time.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

NXi supports both T and V airways. You load Tango airways into the G1000 NXi the same way that you load Victor airways.

We get a lot of use out of T airways when flying in the northeast US.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

T routes are also very common in California, especially Southern California. They load fine in my G3000 (the original version, not the NXi-equivalent version).
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Back to the OPs question. If he entered ODDEL and then Load Airway, he should have been presented with T336 since ODDEL is an intersection on T336. So what happened?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I had a similar issue when flying in Florida last week. I had T-routes in my ForeFlight flight plan, but these didn't transfer correctly via the FS510. This seems to be a recurring issue with things like DPs and STARs. I tried to enter the T-routes manually but only saw the Victor airways. As I didn't have time to experiment, I just entered the individual waypoints.

This evening I fired up the Garmin PC simulator and tried the OPs route using the 2201 and 2202 databases. They both loaded correctly as shown in the animated GIF below. (You may need to click on the GIF to see the animation.)

I'll have to give this another try in my airplane (DA40NG) when it returns from its annual later this month. It should work and since the PC trainer behavior (which is as good as it gets outside the airplane) worked the same with both 2201 and 2202, it doesn't seem to be a database version issue.

NXI-T-ROUTES.gif
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

I tried T-routes at the hangar in my DA40NG with NXi.

1) Loaded this route into FF: KSMO SMO T245 SLI KLGB. That transferred via the FS510 to the panel with no problem.

2) Removed the T route, which also removed SLI, then inserted it again at the panel. I was able to do that, but I did find a quirk. If the cursor was on SMO when I hit the menu, then I couldn't load an Airway. The cursor had to be in the blank Enroute space between SMO and the Destination. Then the T route was in the menu and I could select it with the SLI exit.

So the entry waypoint has to be in the Flight Plan and the cursor needs to be on the line below the entry waypoint. My guess is that's what tripped up Troy, the cursor was on ODDEL, rather than the next line down.

3) I also tried entering a TEC route, in this case BURP19 from Burbank/Van Nuys to KLGB. These will not load from the panel, the G1000 had no idea what it was.

However, TEC routes will load into FF. FF then expands them automatically before transferring to the panel via the FS510. The VNY/095/7 waypoint is nicely translated into a USR waypoint in the process. TEC routes can also be manually expanded in FF like Victor and Tango airways.

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.42.59 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.43.11 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.43.40 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.43.50 AM.jpg
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

The only airways that are used in my province are Tango airways, and I load them all the time on my G1000.