COM static

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: COM static

Post by Karl »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:06 am In my case the static is when nobody is talking, actual transmissions come through clearly 98% of the time. It's like the squelch was open at times, though it is not.

The static wicks are a possibility I've discussed with my IA so I'm probably going to get that checked.
It would be best if you can do a bonding test on the static wicks rather than just the visual most techs will do.
The bonding test will check the airframe bonding system related to the static wicks and give you some idea about its condition.

That said most of the issues are corrosion at the wick mounting point.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Karl wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 am
Boatguy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:06 am In my case the static is when nobody is talking, actual transmissions come through clearly 98% of the time. It's like the squelch was open at times, though it is not.

The static wicks are a possibility I've discussed with my IA so I'm probably going to get that checked.
It would be best if you can do a bonding test on the static wicks rather than just the visual most techs will do.
The bonding test will check the airframe bonding system related to the static wicks and give you some idea about its condition.

That said most of the issues are corrosion at the wick mounting point.
I'm told the bonding test is very labor intensive, whereas the static wick test is fairly simple and quick. The plane is only 3 1/2 yrs old so unless the bonding system was damaged, it should be in good shape. I'm going to start with the wicks.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

[/quote]
I'm told the bonding test is very labor intensive, whereas the static wick test is fairly simple and quick. The plane is only 3 1/2 yrs old so unless the bonding system was damaged, it should be in good shape. I'm going to start with the wicks.
[/quote]

The full bonding test takes an hour or two, I was thinking of just the static wicks element. But I agree with you, if the aircraft is only 3 1/2 years old it is more likely to be the static wicks. let us know if it improves anything.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

My brand new da40ng had a random static problem... turned out that the squelch button/knob on the MFD was jammed (it would turn but not click)... It would randomly turn on in the wrong state. Garmin ended up replacing my MFD... (which was done by Scott at Cincinatti Avionics/Sportys)

Scott and Cinci-Avionics was awesome... totally recommend.

Alan
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

alanhawse wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:42 pm My brand new da40ng had a random static problem... turned out that the squelch button/knob on the MFD was jammed (it would turn but not click)... It would randomly turn on in the wrong state. Garmin ended up replacing my MFD... (which was done by Scott at Cincinatti Avionics/Sportys)
Interesting. I'll fiddle with it next time I start up.
firedwg1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: josh
Aircraft Registration: DA40XLS
Airports: KSNA

Post by firedwg1 »

Most likely SQ if com 1 or 2 says RX, I remember one flight I had a co pilot turn my auto SQ off on accident. It's not intuitive to turn it on, I had to look it up in the MANUAL while we were flying. Basically, you push VOL/PUSH SQ knob to enable / disable SQ on com 1 & 2. Lesson learned

look in the g1000 manual for "AUTOMATIC SQUELCH"

Doubt your having a grounding or bonding issue
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

I've tested the squelch switch and it is definitely not the problem.

I'm going to have the static wicks tested next week. Before I make my flight to the SC to have them tested, is this something I could test myself? I have a decent multimeter. Does anyone know how to perform the test?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:41 am I've tested the squelch switch and it is definitely not the problem.

I'm going to have the static wicks tested next week. Before I make my flight to the SC to have them tested, is this something I could test myself? I have a decent multimeter. Does anyone know how to perform the test?
You need a bonding tester.
Chapter 51-80 of the maintenance manual has all the info.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Yesterday we tested the static wicks and they were all within spec.

Later, the guys across the alley from my hangar, who restore legacy aircraft (they were wheeling out a T6 and expecting a P-51) said it was a ground issue. This kind of resonated with me. The static is not when I'm Rx/Tx, only when idle. Mostly when on the ground, but sometimes in the air and when monitoring Guard. Is there a ground on the antenna or something that could have been disturbed in the annual?

I'm reluctant to tear the plane apart and break something else while trying to fix this.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:11 am Yesterday we tested the static wicks and they were all within spec.

Later, the guys across the alley from my hangar, who restore legacy aircraft (they were wheeling out a T6 and expecting a P-51) said it was a ground issue. This kind of resonated with me. The static is not when I'm Rx/Tx, only when idle. Mostly when on the ground, but sometimes in the air and when monitoring Guard. Is there a ground on the antenna or something that could have been disturbed in the annual?

I'm reluctant to tear the plane apart and break something else while trying to fix this.
The ground is the bonding system, hence the importance of the bonding check.