2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Re: Fatal UT accident appears to be DA40

Post by RookieFlyer »

perossichi wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:08 pm
I can’t stand Dan Gryder. He is a jacka$$. His videos are devoid of content and full of promises that are never fulfilled and teasers. His big idea is to establish some kind of min speed to avoid stall spins. This reveals a basic lack of understanding of flying and the flight envelope.
On the contrary, I find him an interesting and colourful commentator contributing unique perspectives amongst a pool of others. Whether he gets it perfectly right or wrong in the end, his views stimulate valuable debate on important safety topics within general aviation, which can only be a good thing.

As for his idea of a General Aviation AQP (Advanced Qualification Program) which includes 'DMMS' (Defined Minimum Manoeuvring Speed), he is endorsed in this by several notable aviation YouTube commentators including Scott Perdue (Flywire), Juan Brown (Blancolirio) and others.

Myself being new to GA, I've found Dan's analyses and the subsequent debates very stimulating, and I'm old and wise enough to sift the narratives and form my own impressions, but free speech in this context is valuable.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

I'm working on my glider rating and I have learned that thermals can be your friend. I have used Thermals off mountains near Cedar City, Elko NV and Palm Springs to climb to cruise altitude. The DA 40 does a great imitation of a glider, no doubt due to its roots in motorized gliders. Does not work very well with planes that have a higher wing loading.

The GFC 700 AP has a flight level change mode that sets the airspeed instead of VS and handles up/down drafts very well. Unfortunately, the KAP 140 does not.

My experience with the Powerflo is that the greatest improvement is climb performance. I got at least 200fpm higher rate. I also was able to climb past 17,500.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

perossichi wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:15 pm The GFC 700 AP has a flight level change mode that sets the airspeed instead of VS and handles up/down drafts very well.
I always use the FLC mode of the GFC700 for climbs. It does a great job of maintaining the assigned KIAS, but the vertical speed will still reflect the up/down drafts. I watched my VSI descend to 0fpm over more or less flat terrain in the high desert one morning.
perossichi
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N925RH
Airports: KVNY

Post by perossichi »

Dan Gryder is certainly entitled to air his views and make money on YouTube.

He doesn’t get it right very often. He spreads erroneous info and doesn’t do his homework. I personally don’t like his constant strategy of promising to address a topic at the beginning of the video but moving on to irrelevant and unrelated material. But this is a matter of personal preference.

The concept of DMMs is either obvious or completely wrong depending on how close you scrutinize the idea.

The problem it is trying to address is ultimately a lack of airmanship skills. The solution is better and more rigorous training not a rule of thumb that only applies in level flight and a low bank angles.

The one area I agree with Dan on is his assessment of the abysmal performance of the NTSB.
Sold 2002. Powerflo, Hartzell composite two blade, 530W/430, 345 transponder.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Thread creep: apologies in advance.

Thinking like a glider pilot is a great way to improve your typically underpowered, light plane's performance when overflying terrain more interesting than eastern Nebraska*, and/or in convective conditions. As a simple example, on encountering sinking air a glider pilot will speed up in order to spend less time in the sinking air, rather than slowing down as an autopilot would do (if you're IFR, of course, holding altitude is important; VFR, not so much).

Prospective pilots often say to me: I want to learn to fly both airplanes and gliders, which should I train in first? My stock response is: If you want to save a few bucks, start in airplanes; if you want to be a better pilot, start in gliders.

*I have nothing against Nebraska. Feel free to substitute any Great Plains state.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I completely agree and when it is time my son will learn gliders first. Then perhaps he will get his license in a tailwheel cub type airplane. He can learn the Land-O-Matic last.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

NTSB preliminary report is now available.
Attachments
Report_WPR22FA164_104989_5_14_2022 12 05 53 PM.pdf
(805.79 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5