3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Re: DA62 or DA42

Post by Mike Jones »

Ok final spec is “everthing” except ADF and Stormscope. Dislike the weight of A/C but seems a must for wider resale market. Can’t get any commitment on Beringer but hopefully by 2024 this will be a regular request. On the Cirrus I also have Beringer Sens Air which provides real time pressures and temp monitoring. Now to try and conclude a deal.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Well done Mike !

You have gone for the right options.

Good luck 🛫🛫🛫🛫

Nigel
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

I ordered mine in August 2021 and it is specified with Beringer wheels and brakes as standard equipment as per the 2022 Diamond price list. I just assumed I would be getting them?
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:24 pm Because of great market demand for DA62s here in North America, US buyers often consider buying used European DA62s. In the US, air conditioning is absolutely required for DA62 resale value. Think of the global market for DA62s. The DA62 has sufficient useful load for most owners even with the additional weight of air conditioning.
Question: if one was to import a European DA62 is the higher gross weight a paper exercise or is the aircraft the lower gross weight forever?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Ed McDonald wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 pm
CFIDave wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:24 pm Because of great market demand for DA62s here in North America, US buyers often consider buying used European DA62s. In the US, air conditioning is absolutely required for DA62 resale value. Think of the global market for DA62s. The DA62 has sufficient useful load for most owners even with the additional weight of air conditioning.
Question: if one was to import a European DA62 is the higher gross weight a paper exercise or is the aircraft the lower gross weight forever?
I'm not sure how much effort would be required to raise the max gross weight of 1999 kg (applied to some DA62s to avoid paying onerous European ATC fees) to 2300 kg. The change might occur when an FAA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) inspects the plane to convert it to an N-registry (i.e., US-registered) aircraft, and issues a new FAA airworthiness certificate in preparation for US import.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Pehu wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:39 am
DME: BUY. You want this. You need this.
I am finalizing the options on my DA62 (already on order). I was on the fence for the DME. Can you expand on why you think a separate add on DME is so important?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

DME is required for some European countries, but is a waste in the US. Any approach or navigation requiring DME in the US can also be satisfied by using GPS distance as a substitute.

I suppose if there were a major GPS signal outage in the US, having DME might be helpful in navigating via "green needles" (VOR or ILS/LOC) only, using the FAA's MON (Minimum Operational Network) of ground-based navaids.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

I think this is a Europe/UK thing for the IR Skills Test. From the CAA standards doc (oct 2020) Carriage of DME is mandated in UK controlled airspace under IFR but, where no ADF is fitted, the IRE will be expected to set an achievable route where carriage of ADF is not required to complete the route and instrument approach procedures. At least ADF is not now mandated. However the latest CAP1926 talks a lot about RNAV substitution - RNAV substitution for ADF, VOR or DME may be used where the aircraft equipment is not installed or is inoperative and/or the ground-based radio navigation aid is either inoperative or unreliable. I think I will probably spec DME for my 62. The US is far more advanced/sensible and the chances of GPS failing are probably so remote as to be not worth considering?
Waiting for DA62-277
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

CFIDave is correct, at a practical level - you need an DME but not an ADF in Europe.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Mike Jones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:37 am I think this is a Europe/UK thing for the IR Skills Test. From the CAA standards doc (oct 2020) Carriage of DME is mandated in UK controlled airspace under IFR but, where no ADF is fitted, the IRE will be expected to set an achievable route where carriage of ADF is not required to complete the route and instrument approach procedures. At least ADF is not now mandated. However the latest CAP1926 talks a lot about RNAV substitution - RNAV substitution for ADF, VOR or DME may be used where the aircraft equipment is not installed or is inoperative and/or the ground-based radio navigation aid is either inoperative or unreliable. I think I will probably spec DME for my 62. The US is far more advanced/sensible and the chances of GPS failing are probably so remote as to be not worth considering?
GPS failing outright is a low probability, but the US military regularly degrades GPS over substantial areas for their own purposes.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... 81211drone