5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: DA62 or DA42

Post by Colin »

I've had three failures of GPS while flying, all in our original DA40. I'm pretty sure the one over Seattle was because I was climbing very nose-high and there happen to not have enough satellites to the south. When I leveled out I got it back. The other time was probably a military outage that I missed in the NOTAMs. In both cases I just dialed in some VORs and told ATC that my path would be a little zigzag. No issues.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I’ve experienced a couple GPS outages in my turboprop (M600), due to NOTAM’d military activities. Most recently was about 100 nm either side of El Paso while traveling from San Diego to Houston at FL290. No big deal; I dialed in the VORs but it would have been just as easy to fly in heading mode instead given that the conditions were severe clear with only some scattered decks below. Center was offering vectors to anyone who requested them; and that included some lower-altitude piston aircraft. Generally speaking, these outages do not get low enough to affect RNAV approaches but of course theoretically they can. In my limited experience with the military outages, affected altitudes resemble the upside-down wedding cakes of a Bravo … A lot of things tripped off when we lost GPS, including terrain/synthetic vision and the autopilot had to be disconnected and then reconnected in heading mode while dialing up the VORs. Transponder was intermittent also. So you need to be aware of potential multiple beeps and buzzers hooting at you in this circumstance and just dial down the automation while you reset …

These outages are NOTAM’d fairly frequently in the western US, but in practice have not been noticeable when I have traversed the area most of the time. So I’m guessing that in many cases, the outages are of fairly short duration but that’s mostly speculation.
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Thanks for all the info. I do hope to fly the Atlantic crossing route with the DA62 at some point in my life, so flying in Europe might be a reality. So perhaps its a good idea to just get the DME anyway?
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I would buy it if based in Europe but not just for visiting. You can get around flying RNP approaches.
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

OK, signed on the dotted line DA62-277 will be delivered hopefully April 24, all options except ADF and Stormscope.

Here is a question that I don't see an answer to within the forum - what is the turning circle. I have a challenge that my hangar (where my SR22 lives) does not have wide enough doors. There is loads of space inside (and out) so I am hoping I can bring the port wing in to the hangar (by parking parallel to the door) and then reverse the starboard wing round. I am used the SR22 being very manoeuvrable with the castoring nose wheel being able to turn 90 degrees but I wonder what is the max angle on the 62? The whole solution is not ideal but I would rather keep her inside if possible and there are no other airfields close by.

I am also looking at tugs possibly the Redline Aviation one but if the nose wheel angle isn't great enough I might have to consider one that lifts the nosewheel allowing me a full 90 degree angle. Thoughts appreciated, go plenty of time to think about it.
Waiting for DA62-277
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Mike Jones wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:16 am OK, signed on the dotted line DA62-277 will be delivered hopefully April 24,
Interesting that you already have a serial number. I ordered back in July of 2021, and still do not (as far as I know).
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Mike Jones wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:16 am Here is a question that I don't see an answer to within the forum - what is the turning circle.
The AFM states that the maximum angle to turn the nose wheel while towing is 40 degrees.

Turning the ramp while powered can be done quite tight through a combination of rudder, brake and differential thrust. It's actually fun.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Michael, congrats! Do you mean April of 2024, or next 24 April of 2023? I assume the former but if the latter that would be interesting if the lead times have changed …. Thanks!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

MackAttack wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:27 pm Michael, congrats! Do you mean April of 2024, or next 24 April of 2023? I assume the former but if the latter that would be interesting if the lead times have changed …. Thanks!
The shared spreadsheet says April 2024.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks! Should probably have checked that first! :)