3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Engine Data

Post by Ed McDonald »

On the DA62 Forum there is the plight of photoSteveZ viewtopic.php?p=91485#p91485and his recently delivered DA62 having ECU problems. Steve ended up flying to a maintenance shop in another aircraft to bring a tech in with a device to download the engine data to troubleshoot.

My aircraft maintainer (a Diamond Service Centre) recommended that I purchase the serial cord and carry it and a laptop in the aircraft in case there is an engine problem, particularly when away from base. The serial connector cost $1,000 Cdn or about $800 USD (way too much but it's an aircraft part). He gave me his log-in credentials to the Austro site so should I every have an engine issue I can download the data, upload it to Austro and figure out what to including resets.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Engine Data

Post by Boatguy »

Yes. Provided you are always have a laptop in your plane that will run the software.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Do you guys know if that software works on Mac? I'd certainly buy the cable. This is like cars. The "check engine" light is useless if you don't have an OBD-2.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

mfdutra wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:39 pm Do you guys know if that software works on Mac? I'd certainly buy the cable. This is like cars. The "check engine" light is useless if you don't have an OBD-2.
I use it on my 2017 (Intel) MacBook Pro running Windows 10 under Parallels. The software itself is Windows-only.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've always run the Austro Engine Wizard on a Mac laptop instead of a PC. It works fine with either BootCamp (i.e., rebooting the Mac into Windows) or Parallels. It's a little harder to get the USB driver configured properly under Parallels, but that's what I'm using now.

However I don't think the Wizard will run on a newer Mac running the M1 chip; you might need an Intel-based computer.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

The M1s have an x64 emulation layer so theoretically it should work. ...Though I guess I don't know how that layer interfaces with Parallels.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

dant wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:56 pm The M1s have an x64 emulation layer so theoretically it should work. ...Though I guess I don't know how that layer interfaces with Parallels.
Here's how to get a Windows app like the Austro Wizard to maybe run on an M1 Mac, but you need to sign up as a Windows developer to download a preview copy of Windows for ARM; you can't run the standard Windows 10 or 11 operating system unless you have a real Intel-based Mac:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-ru ... an-m1-mac/

(It might be a whole lot easier to purchase a cheap Windows laptop just for running the Wizard.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

CFIDave wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:54 pm
dant wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:56 pm The M1s have an x64 emulation layer so theoretically it should work. ...Though I guess I don't know how that layer interfaces with Parallels.
Here's how to get a Windows app like the Austro Wizard to maybe run on an M1 Mac, but you need to sign up as a Windows developer to download a preview copy of Windows for ARM; you can't run the standard Windows 10 or 11 operating system unless you have a real Intel-based Mac:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-ru ... an-m1-mac/

(It might be a whole lot easier to purchase a cheap Windows laptop just for running the Wizard.)
The problem is that Windows for ARM can’t run x86 drivers, which are required to run the Austro software.

You’d have to use something like UTM to emulate (not just virtualize) an x86 operating system: https://mac.getutm.app/
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Please, just somebody go do it and report back instead of endless debating the possibilities? This thread is about reading and analyzing Austro engine data.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I guess I'd probably get a cheap crappy Windows laptop then. I need the airplane to be delivered first anyway. :-)