4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Field Repair For Nicks in MT Props

Post by dmloftus »

Flew my DA40 from Atlanta to Vegas and found a couple of strange nicks on the trailing edge of my MT prop when I landed at KVGT (Amazing that there is loose gravel all around the main terminal ramp). Luckily my leading edges are clean. Reading through MT Service Letter 32, they suggest using 5-minute epoxy to cover any exposed areas of the wood core, which you can see in the pictures below. That letter mentions nick and gouge sizes < 15mm or < 0.5 sq in are not airworthiness issues. But they suggest covering anything that exposes the wood core:

2.5. Damaged Trailing Edges (continued)
Field Repairs
Sealing of damage with 5 Minute Epoxy (e.g. Devcon ™ or equivalent)
(Damage not deeper than 5 mm (0.20 in) and not wider than 15 mm (0.60 in).
Minor damages on the trailing edge may be sealed with 5 minute epoxy.

While it seems somewhat straightforward to cover a spot along the trailing edge, I would really appreciate any advice on how to handle this on the corner of the blade tip. The most readily available epoxy seems to be by Loctite or Gorilla. Has anyone used these?

Lastly, this seems like minor owner repair. Or does this need to be done by a prop shop? Thoughts?
thumbnail_IMG_8428.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8426.jpg
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Re: Field Repair For Nicks in MT Props

Post by robert63 »

We did a field repair on this damage. It was fine until we replaced the props 4 years later.
Attachments
IMG_3156.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I repaired a similar back side chip about 6 years ago on my MT with JB Weld epoxy. The repair was good until I traded out my blades for the 183b ones last year.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

My shop has repaired similar chips on the trailing edge of my MTV-12-B with epoxy. Mine were closer to the center and probably related to dropping the lower cowling for maintenance. For other prop issues I’ve called MT in FL and they were very helpful on the phone. Could you call them? Maybe they would look at the photos and give advice.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

You may want to use scotch tape backing and put a blob over the damage. Let it cure thoroughly, a few days at least, then trim down to the blade profile with sanding or filing.

They say you can use 5 min epoxy, but I did a similar repair to the LE with a longer cure. I find that you get a stronger bond and harder cure with 30 min. I did this with the blessing of the local prop shop, who were kind enough not take my money.