3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

A1 muffler supplier?

Post by soarer20 »

Need a replacement muffler for my 81hp A1. The exhaust pipe welds to the muffler are broken.

The shop tells me $2k for a used muffler!

Katanajr posted that Acorn welding manufactures an aftermarket muffler. Has anyone here bought a muffler from them? Price?
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Re: A1 muffler supplier?

Post by JohnE »

Hi Nick,

Acorn quoted me "complete overhaul is about $1300.00USD to $1400.00USD" back in 2017. With today's "leadership", it would not surprise me if it is now double that...

They pretty much build you a new one for that price. I remember another company also doing it and /or selling new ones. I think they were in Europe.

I was discussing this issue about 5 years ago with the guys at Rotech.ca, they sell certified engines in Canada, but are very knowledgeable on the Katana and where to get parts like this.

I was interested back then in possibly upgrading to the 912iSC engine via MT-propellers STC which would require the newer exhaust. It had just come out. I forgot who I spoke with about this, but there is a new upgraded muffler available that flows better and would also work with the higher horsepower engines if you ever decide to upgrade. It would also run cooler. In my opinion, it would be worth-while to pay the extra money (maybe $1000 more?) for this new muffler.

The other option for you may be to contact a general aviation muffler repair shop and have them weld yours back into condition. The one I know of is Dawley Aviation in Burlington, WI (KBUU). Sometimes you can also get a local TiG welder to do repair work as well. You can buy replacement sockets I believe from Rotax.

Let me know what you find out. I am curious what the current situation is on these custom parts.

-John
soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Post by soarer20 »

I confirmed that the muffler is a rotax muffler with thin sheet metal welded on for the heat shroud.

The muffler if $900 from Rotech motor in Canada.

Don’t waste your money on the muffler from diamond. Yes it would be certified but diamond does not make the part.

There are quite a few aircraft muffler shops around that can weld the shroud on.

Also, the previous owner mentioned that he stopped having broken tail pipes after he strictly observed the 2 min idle before shutdown. I have had a few backfires so it’s possible this is what caused the broken tail pipe.
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Thanks for the update. Were you able to purchase the muffler from Canada? I don't think they usually will sell to the United States. I think you have to buy from Lockwood instead. Also, are you buying the "new" style muffler? It works with the 100hp engines. I get backfires also that I have not been able to track down. I believe it is from the muffler and/or the gap between the exhaust pipes and the muffler knuckle.

I think I will most likely buy a new muffler as that is pretty inexpensive and mine is very old.

-John