JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: KENW

ADSB upgrade options for a laggard

Post by JohnE »

I upgraded my avionics a few years ago and should have just done the ADSB out back then. I have a Garmin 650 installed with the original bendix transponder. Anyway. I'm finally looking at doing the ADSB upgrade.

Can I install the Uavionix Skybeacon in my A1? I saw another thread that seemed to imply that it was possible using an adapter plate of some kind.

Has anyone done this on a DA20? A1 or C1. If so, any detail would be appreciated. Also, if there are similar easy options available I'd consider that too.

thanks in advance.

John
soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Re: ADSB upgrade options for a laggard

Post by soarer20 »

You have a GTN 650? Or an older model called a 650?

If you want ADSB in and out gtx 345.

If you just need ADSB out gdl 82.

The least expensive option I found (you can’t do the uavionix) was the garmin GDL 82. I did most of the install myself and had Cannon avionics wire it up. It was more complicated than I anticipated and it was tricky to wire it into the audio panel.

Uavionics won’t work bc the diamonds use a white light on the back of the bulb holder for rear position lights and you would be doing away with this with the Uavionics beacon.

The FAA really made a mess of the options available and the goofy requirement to have all this junk installed as permanent equipment was a big mistake IMO. Also pretty crappy of them to only allocate a small amount of money for the rebate.

The UK has a much better system with their portable units.

FYI I am getting a slight ticking sound from my transponder which I have been told is normal with the gdl 82. You might mention this to your avionics shop and see if they can do something to shield your wires, etc so you aren’t chasing this down after the install
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by JohnE »

Gotcha, Thanks. I think I saw that some DA40 owners were able to install the skybeacon somehow. If true, I wonder how they would get around the lack of rear position light.

I have the GTN 650. I also have a garmin Aera 760 installed underneath the 650. I get traffic and weather via one of their GDL antennas. Because of that I don't really need ADSB-in feature. I was looking at both the 345 and 82 units when I did my upgrade. I guess I should have bit the bullet back then. Was hoping their would be easier options by now.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

A GTN 650 is WAAS, right? You don't mention which transponder you have but the KT74 is supposed to be a slip in upgrade for things like a KT76, though you would need to wire the GPS feed from the GTN.

I have seen reference to kludges to provide a white position light with an adapter for the skybeacon. I'll also make this comment: Living with one of these can be something other than a picnic. The Sunday before last I watched two guys trying to get the existing skybeacon in a C172 to work with the owner's new iPad and fail. Apparently the owner was several SB software updates behind such that the new iPad could not connect to it. To get past this apparently requires removing the SB to use a wired connection to update the SW so it'll work. "My" mechanic has had the experience of a skybeacon being INOP right out of the box.

FWIW my KT74 has been totally trouble free for 7 years now. Though If I were to need to change it I'd probably go with a Garmin unit.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by JohnE »

Yes, the GTN 650 is WAAS. Thanks for the KT74 suggestion. Tray compatible would be great. I prefer to have my A&P do the install, so some brands won't deal direct to the customer. I'll try to dig up the install manual and see if Bendix requires their dealers to install and support.
soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Post by soarer20 »

I recall the price for the 345 was astronomical a few years ago. I recall around $6k installed.

I would find out if anyone has a gdl 82 on sale. I think I got a few hundred off at AS. Make sure they use the correct wire for the gps antenna.
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by JohnE »

It looks like the 335 is available for ~$3300. Any downsides to this one besides lack of ADSB-in? One advantage I see (also the 345) is that the altitude encoder is now digital so I can remove the old bendix one.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

JohnE wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm It looks like the 335 is available for ~$3300. Any downsides to this one besides lack of ADSB-in? One advantage I see (also the 345) is that the altitude encoder is now digital so I can remove the old bendix one.
This may or may not apply to the DA20, but in the DA40 the encoder feeds both the KAP140 and the transponder.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I installed the GDL-82 in my non-WAAS equipped aircraft:

viewtopic.php?t=6911&hilit=steve+comant

Most of the labor involved running the antenna coax for the new Comant antenna (VHF/GPS) that was required for my installation - you shouldn't need it. The box install was easy, took me about half a day, worked first time, and has never had any issues (always 100% on PAPRs). I'm fairly confident working with electronics, my A&P/IA signed it off.

I really wanted to do the SkyBeacon, but the issues Rich mentioned dissuaded me...
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by JohnE »

soarer20 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:41 pm
If you just need ADSB out gdl 82.

The least expensive option I found (you can’t do the uavionix) was the garmin GDL 82. I did most of the install myself and had Cannon avionics wire it up. It was more complicated than I anticipated and it was tricky to wire it into the audio panel.
Hi Nick,

Looking at all the options, the gdl 82 seems like the easiest to install. Can you tell me (or have pictures) of where you mounted the GDL 82 box? (panel, under seats, etc). I will use one of the RS-232s from my GTN 650 as the WAAS source.

Thanks for any info. -John