4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Ceramic coating and/or window treatments

Post by dmloftus »

MackAttack wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:17 pm I (and many others) have done ceramic coatings on our Cirrus aircraft with excellent results. No static issues and the coatings are easy to remove for composite repairs. I will say the coating gave my Cirrus an amazing finish and made it very easy to clean.
What did you pay to coat the Cirrus?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Results of additional homework (so far): No explicit reason NOT to have a ceramic coating professionally applied to your Diamond airplane. It doesn't affect composite repairs. (It turns out that composite repairs have to assume contamination anyway.) If your plane has TKS panels, special care is required to avoid applying the ceramic treatment over the panels.

I didn't dig into the prosumer or over-the-counter (Walmart) products. Most folks here appear to be interested in highly airplane-experienced services like Aviana.

If there's a downside to ceramic coatings (other than the cost), it's that periodically waxing your plane provides an opportunity to examine the entire surface and identify (and address) stone nicks or other damage that might otherwise be unnoticed during a quick post-flight cleaning. Of course, this can be easily mitigated.

The reported issues regarding p-static (precipitation static) are inconclusive. If this occurs, it happens in IMC at colder temperatures and seems to be related to the product and application process used (which can result in an insulation layer that prevents the static collection and wicking system from doing its intended job).
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Sorry just saw the post inquiring about the cost for the Cirrus coating. That was in 2017 so I’m not sure it’s super relevant in 2022, as I’m sure the price has gone up. But it was in the $2k-plus range for the service (plus travel expenses) if memory serves; please don’t hold me to that. I can barely remember what I did yesterday let alone what I paid for something 5 years ago! Mehrdad at Aviana will give you a quote or estimate if you ping him and that’s what I’d recommend.
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

That’s the company in Switzerland the canopy is coming from.

https://www.mecaplex.ch/verglasungen/aviation.html
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
vnehess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N515GG
Airports: KRHV

Post by vnehess »

MackAttack wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:39 pm Mehrdad at Aviana will give you a quote or estimate if you ping him and that’s what I’d recommend.
I did ping Mehrdad, mehrdad@aviana-detailing.com
he replied

Are you looking for service at your airport or at KIOW? Our base price is $3800,

I asked about recommendations in CA,

Reach out to Brett Berry with Shiny Jets. I have him copied on this email.
Brett@shinyjets.com

shinyjets is located in San Diego CA
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

My 2019 DA40 NG with only about 50 hours on it will live outdoors. It’s basically new so no real hard prep work required. I got three proposals for ceramic coating today from local ATL installers. Two of the installers want to use a hanger for the installation work and say it will take between 1 1/2 to two days and they want it inside for another day after. I hope to borrow a hangar for the price of a plane wash. The other installer said he could do it all outdoors. Strangely, that Installer was the most expensive one at $3,995.64. I eliminated that one. The other two seemed very experienced. Price: $3,350 & 2,500. Both talked a good show and use quality products. I’ll likely go with the lower price. Stay tuned.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

My hangar at KLZU is open for a few weeks as my DA40 is at MT in Deland Fl for prop overhaul. Currently on trip to Germany and Iceland, but back end of month.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Thanks to dmloftus (Dave) my DA40 NG had a ceramic coating applied in his hangar at klzu. $2,850. Worth it? Not sure yet but it looks amazing. Water from rain just slides off. I’ll report back in a few months as to how bugs and dirt adherence and cleaning changes.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I recently had my 62 professionally ceramic coated, including the windows inside and out. With a thorough cleaning and paint prep work prior to application, the technician invested seven full days in the project. The finish looks amazing, and the optical properties of the windows are markedly improved: I’m a photographer, so that’s important to me. The last time I bought fuel, the line guy sprayed Jet-A all over the wings; after a short flight, there was no sign of fuel remaining on the painted surfaces, at all. We don’t have bugs this time of year, so I can’t say how much easier it will be to remove bug guts.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

I have been using Technicians Choice TEC582 Ceramic Detail Spray on my car with excellent results. It's very easy to apply (spray on wipe off).

While it is not a "permanent" ceramic coating, it seems to last a very long time. I'm thinking of using it on my DA40.

One note of caution (and this applies to any ceramic coating application), the towel (typically a microfiber towel) needs to be thrown away after it's used to wipe off the spray. The ceramic clogs the fibers and cannot be removed (even with washing).