3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N845PA
Airports: KFFC

Ceramic coating and/or window treatments

Post by hifiaudio2 »

Has anyone here ever applied a ceramic coating, such as G-Technic, to their plane? Or maybe just one of the semi-permanent window coatings that can be professionally applied? I did both to my truck and the results are great. Curious if this is commonly done or is legal/ FAA approved for planes. It certainly makes bugs and grime and water come off my truck easily.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Ceramic coating and/or window treatments

Post by chili4way »

Ceramic coatings are often new-generation silicone treatments. Silicone is problematic for use on Diamonds (and Cirrus) because it subsequently interferes with composite repairs. It can also interfere with static dissipation. See this from Aviation Safety.

The GTECHNIQ products you refer to have siloxane as an ingredient. Siloxane is a backbone of the silicone polymer, i.e. polydimethylsiloxane. More broadly speaking, anything that requires sandpaper to correct an errant application area is certainly going to interfere with composite repairs. Also, beware of Turtle Wax.

I use Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All (NOT the ceramic Wax ALL) for post-flight cleaning and monthly cleanups. I use Wash ALL to clean the soot off the bottom every so often, then follow up with Wash Wax All. And 2-3 times a year, I apply Klasse All-In-One polish.

I use PLEXUS plastic cleaner on the canopy and windows, making sure to coat the area and only wipe up-and-down and across, never in circles. Some use PRIST acrylic cleaner (not to be confused with the Jet-A additive with the same name). Beware of automotive or household products that are intended to clean glass windows.

I use Meguiar's Leather Wipes on the seats every couple of months. I use iCloth wipes on the G1000 NXI panels when needed.

I also use two sets of different color cleaning cloths (never paper towels), one set for the Plexiglas canopy & windows, and one set for the composite, although some may consider this excessive.
hifiaudio2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by hifiaudio2 »

Great thanks. That sounds like that's a "no" then on any kind of semi- permanent treatment :). Maybe something semi-permanent on the windows would actually be beneficial though?

The flight school uses the following on the plane. I think on the windows and the body... Is this going to create a problem? I'm assuming they've been doing it for a while on their other diamonds and of course all of their cessna's.

Sprayway, Glass Cleaner, 19 Oz Cans, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L2CFBB/re ... V43TFZ331P
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

I'd say "no" to this product, too. According to this reference, there are four things Plexiglas doesn't like: Ammonia, Abrasives, Alcohol, and Aromatics. While the Sprayway product lacks ammonia, it has alcohol and aromatics. It's worth noting that Sprayway makes a separately formulated plastic cleaner. In this case, there's no difference between Cessnas and Diamonds.

I don't see the benefit of using this product for cleaning the airframe. Unlike Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All, it doesn't result in a waxed surface that will simplify the next cleaning. If anything, it could strip what was already there.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I wouldn't rule out the ceramic coatings; I (and many others) have done ceramic coatings on our Cirrus aircraft with excellent results. No static issues and the coatings are easy to remove for composite repairs. I will say the coating gave my Cirrus an amazing finish and made it very easy to clean. I also did it on our M600 and my Tecnam LSA (but those are metal airframes of course). I would talk to Mehrdad at Aviana ceramic coatings (www.coatmyplane.com) to see what he says. I don't know if he has done any Diamonds but I thought the results were great, worth the money and nobody I know who has done it has had any issues with p-static. Just my two cents ... let us know what you find.

I am considering having Mehrdad coat my DA62 when it arrives and after the paint fully cures/sets (typically Mehrdad waits 30 days from delivery on new aircraft). Aviana also has a great YouTube channel with lots of videos showing the work that he does on different planes... worth checking out if you are interested. He's not the only one, of course, but he is a pilot and understands how to protect the key areas on your plane during the process. He will also travel to you. And no, I don't get any commission - I just really like the guy; he's done 3 planes for me and he's a big GA booster. Knows his stuff. Good luck!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Joel, thanks. I'm going to do some more homework. Since there is a difference in composites among the any-color-as-long-as-it's-white DA40NG and the pick-your-color DA62 and Cirrus Aircraft (or automobiles), this could be a factor.

I'd also like to better understand the differences in the composition of the professional products that Mehrdad uses, the so-called prosumer products, and the over-the-counter products in terms of how they interact with the composite materials. This could affect how easy these are to remove for composite repair.

It would be wonderful news if there was a ceramic solution recommended for all Diamond aircraft. Absent this, it may come down to whether an owner is more concerned about looks/cleaning vs. the risk of future composite repair complications.
hifiaudio2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by hifiaudio2 »

Thanks for the tip... I've reached out to aviana.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

hifiaudio2 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:03 pm Has anyone here ever applied a ceramic coating, such as G-Technic, to their plane? Or maybe just one of the semi-permanent window coatings that can be professionally applied?
Not sure what problem a ceramic coating of the airframe would address. I use Wash Wax All and my plane is so slippery I can't set anything on the wings.

A coating for the windows to reduce UV would be interesting, but I would check with the mfg first. The canopy comes from a Swiss company who's name escapes me at the moment, but may be in the IPC. I've contacted them directly before and receive a prompt reply.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Since there is a difference in composites among the any-color-as-long-as-it's-white DA40NG and the pick-your-color DA62 and Cirrus Aircraft
The main guy (Brandon) at SunQuest was talking about some newer paints that behave like white with respect to thermal properties. They can even get black paint on composites nowadays, apparently.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

The main advantage of the coating from my perspective was that you do it once every 5-7 years; we clean our current plane with diluted No-Rinse and use a spray citrus cleaner for any tough spots (bird droppings, heavy turbine soot). You don't need to do a regular wax. Of course, the good wax products also do a great job so it's really a matter of preference. I also note that ceramic is somewhat hydrophobic (makes water bead up and run off, makes it a wee bit harder for ice to stick, etc.); it's not an anti-icing product by any means and is not marketed as such. But it does have a small, on-the-margin benefit in that department.

I should also add that paint correction is part of the coating service; and the coating preserves the correction, so it's a bit of a color saver as well as a coating.