Updating subscriptions G1000 Nxi and Flightstream 510

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

hifiaudio2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N845PA
Airports: KFFC

Updating subscriptions G1000 Nxi and Flightstream 510

Post by hifiaudio2 »

On the (new to me) 2021 da40 NG I just took delivery of, the subscriptions are all expired and I am about to buy the Garmin US "Standard OnePak" unless someone talks me out of it. Seems to be everything the flight school I am leasing back to needs, with the exception of Jeppensen approaches that they seem to prefer. Other than a gut check that this is a package I should be buying, my main question is how to update these. I have the 510, but I dont want to buy the Garmin pilot subscription. My son has already purchased Foreflight. Garmin tech support tells me that I cannot do the wireless transfer without the Garmin pilot subscription. just making sure that is accurate before going the SD card route.
hifiaudio2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Re: Updating subscriptions G1000 Nxi and Flightstream 510

Post by hifiaudio2 »

And if I updated by just using an SD card, would this be an appropriate card?

SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, SD Card - SDSDUN4-032G-GN6IN https://a.co/d/7BKKs8O
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I think the Standard OnePak is a great choice and it's what I have. I tried the "with FliteCharts" version the first year, and discovered I never used it except for show-and-tell. The added expense and larger data transfers just aren't worth it. Having Jepp charts displayed on the panel requires a more expensive subscription AND a $5,000 unlock key for ChartView.

The differences between the several OnePak and PilotPak options are summarized in the attached PDF. (This might be worthy of a separate thread.). My biggest disappointment with the OnePak is that the VFR/IFR charts updates are only available the day before the new cycle begins. Everything else (including all the Garmin PIlot databases) is generally available the week before, including the essential NAV database. I've pointed out this issue to the Garmin database product manager.

Don't bother with the FS510 "Database Concierge". It means moving the gigabytes of data for each update three times instead of two when using a dedicated 8GB or larger SDcard (FAT32 format). (Database Concierge: 1) download to iPad, 2) WiFi transfer into FS510, 3) FS510 into G1000 NXI. Dedicated SDcard: 1) download to SDcard, 2) SDcard into G1000 NXI. If you're not already using Garmin Pilot, it's not worth the $100 extra just for Database Concierge.

You use the Garmin Aviation Database Manager to download the updates to the dedicated SDcard at home, then take the SDcard to the airport. With the electric master off, take out the FS510, and put in the SDcard. Then turn on the electric master and watch the Aux/Database screen to monitor the transfer into the G1000 NXI standby position. When it's complete, turn off the electric master. Swap the SDcard and FS510 and you're done. You may need to toggle the electric master twice on the first day of the new cycle to get the standby transferred into the active if you do the database update on Wednesday, the day before the cycle starts on Thursday.

Glad to answer questions and always appreciate additional experiences, insights, and feedback.
Garmin G1000NXI Database Options-v13Jun22.pdf
(130.61 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

You can buy the Jepp plates to use in Foreflight. I purchase the ForeFlight Performance Plus with Jeppesen for USA only.

ForeFlight makes it easy to add the Jepps to your subscription. They credit whatever is remaining on the current subscription and then you buy a new subscription.
vnehess
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Registration: N515GG
Airports: KRHV

Post by vnehess »

chili4way wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:48 pm You use the Garmin Aviation Database Manager to download the updates to the dedicated SDcard at home
I've found this (Database Manager) only runs on Windows, not Mac.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

The latest version runs on my (Intel) Macbook Pro.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/garmi ... e-manager/
hifiaudio2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by hifiaudio2 »

Thanks Paul!

After I checked out, I see that I have an option of one of these two: Seems like the Americas by KWIK is just more maps for no more money. Any reason to choose just the US by AOPA? I have already paid so it seems this is just choose one or the other.

Coverage Map

Americas by AC-U-KWIK

United States by AOPA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

chili4way wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:14 am The latest version runs on my (Intel) Macbook Pro.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/garmi ... e-manager/
I’ve only used Garmin for my obstacle database. I had a problem using my Mac and Garmin support’s first and repeated response was to use a Windows machine. They really, really, only begrudgingly provide Mac tools for aviation data, contrary to their approach for other Garmin products I have. And no support for iOS/iPadOS.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

vnehess wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:46 pm
chili4way wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:48 pm You use the Garmin Aviation Database Manager to download the updates to the dedicated SDcard at home
I've found this (Database Manager) only runs on Windows, not Mac.
I run it on my M1 MacBook Pro 14".
Rich wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:26 am I’ve only used Garmin for my obstacle database. I had a problem using my Mac and Garmin support’s first and repeated response was to use a Windows machine. They really, really, only begrudgingly provide Mac tools for aviation data, contrary to their approach for other Garmin products I have. And no support for iOS/iPadOS.
Garmin Pilot clearly runs on iOS, though I prefer ForeFlight.

I'm update my G1000NXi DBs monthly with the Garmin Aviation DB Manager on my Mac.

It's true the G1000 simulators don't run on the Mac.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I'm a Foreflight guy. I experimented with Garmin Pilot / Flightstream 510 data uploads, but have gone back to using Jeppesen's JDMapp on my MacBook Pro to load an SD card, and then take the card to the airplane.