3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Cool Level

Post by alanhawse »

I am 140 hours into my new DA40NG.

A couple of weeks ago I got a "cool lvl" annunciation turning base/final ... then it went out before I touched down.

I stopped and looked and there was no sign of coolant... or any bad engine running ... or overheating or ...

The next day it happened again. Same thing.. beep... out ... beep out... out ... didnt come back

Super annoying.

I ended up taking it back to Spearman. He added 1 oz of coolant (hardly any) and burping it.

Seems to have fixed the problem.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Re: Cool Level

Post by gcampbe2 »

I had a similar issue about 80 hours into my DA40NG. From the time the aircraft was new I would occasionally find a small amount of coolant under the aircraft during walk around. Since it occurred even during my transition training this (incorrectly) became normalized in my mind, until I started getting the COOL LVL annunciation.

It turns out that when inspected virtually every coolant hose clamp was slightly loose. Simply tightening those clamps and topping off the coolant resolved the issue for me. It should also be noted that there was evidence of coolant leakage in the engine compartment and on the lower cowling.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

Yes... when it started happening I went and searched and found your post(s) which I found very helpful - thank you for that.

I don't think that I have the same problem... which is why I posted. There were 0 signs of leak.

BUT... not having coolant would be a serious issue....

I have only flown about 10-12 hours since he worked on it... so I am not 100% sure that it is fixed... but I hope so.

Alan
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

I've seen this in a couple of DA40s I'm around where the coolant annunciator comes when the pitching down or up. I think the issue is caused by extra air in the reservoir tank or not completely topped off. It's like it sloshes back and worth against the sensor. I've heard that to properly fill the coolant is to pull a vacuum on the line and fill while under vacuum will get all the air out.

-Ingram
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

Also see this thread has a more detail too: viewtopic.php?p=88171&hilit=coolant+level#p88171