3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

G1000NXI Checklist

Post by alanhawse »

I downloaded the checklist (which wasn't installed on my new DA40NG) from the Diamond checklist website

I then installed it on the SD Card (insert in the bottom slot of the MFD)

The checklists loaded ... but there are errors. Here is an example picture

Notice that there are embedded characters that are jacked up. I can think of a bunch of reasons why this might be... obviously 32 ASCII is space... so my guess it has something to do with a US configured g1000nxi... and there is something German about the GCL file

I have several questions ... but before I go too far down the road solving them Im wondering if anyone knows the answer

1. Does anyone have a good checklist file (either json or GCL)
2. The files checklist.gcl on the download doesn't seem to match checkset.json (when I load checkset.json and export checklist.gcl) it doesn't match the delivered checklist.gcl... and when I export checklist.gcl it doesn't match checkset.json [could easily be because I diff'd]
3. Does anyone know where the GCL file format is documented?
4. Has anyone written a library for GCL
5. Why did they deliver the data.json and the html files?

Thanks,
Alan
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Re: G1000NXI Checklist

Post by nworthin »

I have just started looking into this for my DA62. Here's what I know:

1. The version of the checklist loaded on my DA62 at delivery had the same garbage characters. I think you are correct this is extra characters (with Austrian accenting) or markup that's not supported in the US English version.

2. The checklist editor published by Garmin DOES load and allow editing of the DA62 GCL files and I suspect it will do the same for your DA40 file. You can find this at:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=12032
This editor requires Windows.

3. The HTML and JSON files are a bit of a mystery - it's possible the OEM editor tools let the OEM first compose in those formats and then output the PDF (for printout of use in a tablet) as well as the GCL files. These files were NOT provided in the DA62 version which makes me think they are superfluous for our purposes.

I suggest you just get the Garmin editor, load up the file and go to the problematic areas and then save. The editor is obscure - something like a outline editor so that formatting and indenting is done using the logic of the UI but it didn't seem incomprehensible at first glance.

Good luck - I plan to do something similar on my DA62. In the meantime I am using the PDF version of the e-checklist loaded into Foreflight with "bookmarks" for important bits (emergencies mainly).

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Consider MiraCheck. I only use the voice response for Emergency checklist items. I find it much more powerful, flexible, and convenient than the G1000. And it runs on a separate screen (iPad), leaving the MFD usable.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

MiraCheck looks awesome! Thanks Russ!
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

One question Russ: Do you have a MiraCheck template for the DA40NG that you can share?
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

This is almost exactly what I tried this morning.

Unfortunately, open, save didnt fix the problem.

Good news is that if you go "edit" the sections of the checklist and erase/retype them... it solves the problem.

It is still annoying.

Alan

nworthin wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:23 pm I have just started looking into this for my DA62. Here's what I know:

1. The version of the checklist loaded on my DA62 at delivery had the same garbage characters. I think you are correct this is extra characters (with Austrian accenting) or markup that's not supported in the US English version.

2. The checklist editor published by Garmin DOES load and allow editing of the DA62 GCL files and I suspect it will do the same for your DA40 file. You can find this at:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=12032
This editor requires Windows.

3. The HTML and JSON files are a bit of a mystery - it's possible the OEM editor tools let the OEM first compose in those formats and then output the PDF (for printout of use in a tablet) as well as the GCL files. These files were NOT provided in the DA62 version which makes me think they are superfluous for our purposes.

I suggest you just get the Garmin editor, load up the file and go to the problematic areas and then save. The editor is obscure - something like a outline editor so that formatting and indenting is done using the logic of the UI but it didn't seem incomprehensible at first glance.

Good luck - I plan to do something similar on my DA62. In the meantime I am using the PDF version of the e-checklist loaded into Foreflight with "bookmarks" for important bits (emergencies mainly).

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:45 pm Consider MiraCheck. I only use the voice response for Emergency checklist items. I find it much more powerful, flexible, and convenient than the G1000. And it runs on a separate screen (iPad), leaving the MFD usable.
Ill try that... I think that a flaw in my flying is this topic anyway.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Wish there was a MiraCheck DA62 template available. I really don't want to retype the checklist....
AuRod
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rod
Aircraft Registration: TBA
Airports: YMMB

Post by AuRod »

I’ve been working on one for the past month but not quite finished. Could publish it if you are happy to check it
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

gcampbe2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:06 pm One question Russ: Do you have a MiraCheck template for the DA40NG that you can share?
Sorry, I did not see this earlier. I have one, but it extends far beyond the factory list and is very customized to my own flow. I've re-ordered what the factory does, eliminated some things, added other things, set flags so some items are only done conditionally, etc.