2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N26VV
Airports:

Re: Prop strike on Austro E4-C engines

Post by MWC »

robert63 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:05 am It depends what the power setting was at the moment of the prop strike. If the engines were at idle it doesn’t need a new engine. It will need new props (or prop repair) and new gearboxes. But this will still be in the range between 15.000,- and 25.000,- per engine. I am referring to an incident from 2012. So it may have changed since then.
I don’t know how it is when the engines were not at idle.
Thanks for that data point. Indeed, I just a got message from a Service Center that basically confirmed same, so not as bad as I originally thought.
erchegyia
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: HBSGV
Airports: LSZH

Post by erchegyia »

MWC wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 pm
erchegyia wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:55 pm My club's DA40NG had a nose wheel collapse back in April. Still waiting for a new(!) engine from Austro :roll:
I was told that Austro back-log is currently 12 months, so your club's DA40NG is probably going to be outa commission until next Spring !

If you ask me, this is totally outrageous. I would be just a bit more than "pissed" if I had just spent well over $1Mil on a new 42 or 62 ...
nah, it was expected next week and seems to be delayed by 2 additional weeks.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

MWC wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:05 pm
erchegyia wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:55 pm My club's DA40NG had a nose wheel collapse back in April. Still waiting for a new(!) engine from Austro :roll:
I was told that Austro back-log is currently 12 months, so your club's DA40NG is probably going to be outa commission until next Spring !

If you ask me, this is totally outrageous. I would be just a bit more than "pissed" if I had just spent well over $1Mil on a new 42 or 62 ...
For context, Lycoming's backlog is 30+ months for an overhaul exchange. I hear they haven't been hitting those dates either. Overhaul shops are taking about three months. Sounds like Austro can deliver new engines quicker than Lycoming and based on the other anecdote in this thread parts availability seems to be only slightly longer than what we're seeing for field overhauls of Lycomings.

Hopefully you'll be back flying again soon!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

There's a dual-mass flywheel (with damper) located between the Austro gearbox and engine to absorb the shock of a prop strike. Consequently, an Austro engine prop strike will require a prop overhaul, replacement of the gearbox, and replacement of the dual-mass flywheel. But typically not a new engine.

I suggest you have a tech with a laptop, USB adapter, and Austro Engine Wizard software collect ECU files from when the prop strike took place, and email these files to Diamond -- they will likely forward these files to Austro for analysis and advice on what to replace.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There was a DA42 I looked at which had dual prop strikes (the pilot came close to landing, realized the gear was not down, and went around, but not before shaving the tips off all the blades). Amazingly, the logs said nothing stopped so nothing needed to be replaced.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
MWC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by MWC »

CFIDave wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:45 pm There's a dual-mass flywheel (with damper) located between the Austro gearbox and engine to absorb the shock of a prop strike. Consequently, an Austro engine prop strike will require a prop overhaul, replacement of the gearbox, and replacement of the dual-mass flywheel. But typically not a new engine.
I suggest you have a tech with a laptop, USB adapter, and Austro Engine Wizard software collect ECU files from when the prop strike took place, and email these files to Diamond -- they will likely forward these files to Austro for analysis and advice on what to replace.
Thanks Dave . I have since spoke with a big Diamond shop and Austro directly - it's just as you said .

Any price points on new props and gearbox & dual-mass flywheels ?
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

See screenshot of the MM.
Attachments
Prop strike.JPG
MWC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by MWC »

Thanks Karl. I read the MM and it is rather vague, hence why I'm looking for real-world experience to understand exactly what to expect from Austro.