3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Beringer Brakes

Post by Ed McDonald »

News from Oshkosh…Beringer brakes now available and certified for the DA62. Have your maintainer email Ed Hollestelle for the part numbers.
From the flight test department, it takes about 50 landings to break in the brakes. Also, unlike the Cleveland Brakes, the Beringers can cause you to lock up the wheels.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Beringer Brakes

Post by michael.g.miller »

Ed McDonald wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:53 pm Also, unlike the Cleveland Brakes, the Beringers can cause you to lock up the wheels.
Great news on the brakes! But confused by this statement. The Clevelands absolutely can lock up (DAMHIK). The Beringer brakes, have a hydraulic lock-resistant system. So they should be less likely to lock up. Did you hear differently?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I was a little confused by this as well when I heard it from the Diamond folks that Ed and I spoke with at Oshkosh. I previously had the impression that the Clevelands were more likely to lock up and flat-spot the tires.

In fact, I have flown with each (on two different DA42s) and managed to accidentally lock the stock ones once but never the Beringers. However, somebody else flying my Beringer-equipped 42 was able to flat-spot one of my tires, so I know it's possible. :tap:
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I don't believe that the Beringer system is a true "Anti-lock" system that senses differential wheel speed and modulates hydraulic pressure to the very slow, or stopped wheel (as in an auto system). Given that, I would expect that it is possible to lock up a wheel and flat-spot a tire in an aircraft with either system. I could see this happening especially when there is little weight-on-wheels, as in just after touchdown. One reason I developed the habit of allowing the aircraft to slow to below flying speed, pull back on the stick (to transfer more weight to the mains), and then apply light to moderate braking effort.

My airplane (a DA40) lands so slow that I seldom use braking anyway, until I am ready to turn off the runway. I mainly use them when taxiing.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Completely agree that Beringers are not anti-lock. Just surprised that they would be *more* prone to locking. Seems like the hydraulic relief system would make it less likely to lock if anything.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

Aw, dammit. I just bought a complete round of new brakes and tires for N687DA. Had I known that Beringers were in the pipeline, I could have held off a couple of months.

Now, I guess I'll just have to wait for the new ones to wear out.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

I have them on my SR22 (waiting for DA62 due 2024) They are night and day different to Cleveland (on the 22). Much more feel and it is relatively easy to lock when braking heavily on short field landings especially just after touchdown when there is less weight on the wheels. They will be top of my list when they are finally certified in the UK. I also have the Sensair pressure monitors which are convenient rather than essential. Also shows how quickly the pressure goes up when hot.
Waiting for DA62-277
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Do you know if they will be standard or optional on the 62?
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

When I ordered my 62 in August 2021 they were included in the 2022 spec as standard.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

MarkO wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:42 pm When I ordered my 62 in August 2021 they were included in the 2022 spec as standard.
Yes, they are on the 2021 US price list.