2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: DGCOB
Airports: EDWI

GTX345R installation in TDI

Post by D-GCOB »

Does anyone have a Garmin GTX345R in his TDI installed?
The STC for the GTX345R specifically mentions the TDI but my avionics shop is struggling to find the right software loader for it. I know that there are NG versions - and also Dash VI that have this unit installed. I use the new 320.23 software release with the GDU15.11 so that there should be no conflict.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: GTX345R installation in TDI

Post by mhoran »

As you know, installation of the GTX-345R in legacy G1000 DA40/DA42 is by STC. Perhaps the shop is confused by how the software is loaded on the NXi. There is a STC loader card that is needed, but this is generic and supports all models in the STC (which includes the DA40 and 42.) The GTX-345R is then configured via software on a computer by USB.

The shop should be able to get the loader files and the computer software from the Garmin dealer portal.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

Thank you for your swift reply - well appreciated
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

So, finally the GTX345r is installed and operable. With the new 370.23 software the WAAS input comes from the GIA63W. All ADS-B traffic is displayed with direction (on the iPad even with flight number) and the “other” traffic is shown by the Avidyne TAS610. FIS weather is not shown in Germany so that I cannot test it.
The following failure comes up (3-5 times per hour) - does anyone have any idea to look for?
“Traffic, no bearing, same altitude” and a few second later “no bearing traffic clear”. I guess the TAS610 and the GTX345R “see” each other and cannot differentiate?
Also the AHRS output to the iPad is not working and also the flight plan transfer from Garmin pilot. Are these functions usually available?
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mhoran »

I do see ghost traffic from time to time, presumably of myself, but it's never close enough to trigger an alert. I'm not sure what configuration might be available to help with that; my understanding is the de-duplication is done entirely in software in the transponder. You might want to verify that the TAS610 is completely disconnected from the audio panel, which is required per the STC. Perhaps it's emitting an alert that would otherwise be suppressed. Do you see an alert on the MFD? If not, then this is likely the case.

My AHRS works but it is incredibly unreliable. I would rather it be disconnected to be honest, because if I were to use it in an emergency situation i think that would be dangerous. Supposedly it can be recalibrated to help with this but I have not had that done. I wonder if perhaps the AHRS was simply disabled in your configuration, that should be easy for the shop to check with the laptop software previously mentioned.

Without the FlightStream 210 there is no flight plan transfer function. This is only available if you install the FS210 and disable the internal Bluetooth.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

I had some ghost traffic with the TAS610 only (without the GTX345) – but that was really rarely.
Here the annunciation comes definitely from the GTX – the TAS voice and text was different and it also shows a yellow target on the MFD and an immediate traffic warning on the iPad as well.
The AHRS is not really important for me especially if it is not reliable.
Too bad that only the FS210 can deal with the flight plan transfer – would be such a nice option. Do you know how much additional cabling is required to install it? – Shame that it was not installed with the GTX345 together as the hardware price is “only” around 1.000€.
Attachments
IMG_8261.jpg
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mhoran »

Hmm, given this target is a circle (not a diamond) it would seem that this is ADS-B traffic, not TAS traffic. I wonder if your transponder has not been configured properly. There are a number of configuration parameters for the hex ID as well as the registration number that must be set, both in the transponder config software program on a laptop, as well as in the G1000 itself. I wonder if something is mismatched. If you go to the traffic screen on the MFD you can enable "FLT ID" and see whether it shows your tail number there. TAS traffic will not have a tail number.

I'm not sure how much additional work is required for the FS210. I know others here have had it installed at the same time as the GTX-345, which minimizes the labor costs. It probably takes a few hours to install once everything is buttoned back up. Since the GDU v15 software is still not available for the DA 40, this functionality still doesn't work for us, so I haven't bothered looking into it myself.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

Thank you for help - I will check during my next flight if the tail number is mine (I guess it will be). I will also check in the system page if the hex id and tail numbers are inserted correctly or if there is a mismatch. The avionics shop installed this transponder the first time so there might be something that they have missed out. It was quite a challenge for them since there is no real documentation or anything from neither Diamond nor Garmin. Also the Garmin support didn’t help much – the real help came from Diamond in Canada.
The wrong traffic callouts are quite short – but very annoying when you talk to ATC in that moment which has happed a couple times already.
Since the GDU >15 is already installed on my plane I might ask the shop to install the FS210 with the next annual – I think it is a very nice feature which also increased the value of the plane.
I will keep you updated.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

Finally solved - a resistor on the Avidyne TAS wiring needs to be replaced.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I also installed GTX345 in DA42 TDI but G1000 doesn't show the traffic while it's shown in ForeFlight via BlueTooth connection. I collected few advices from different sites, pilots and mechanics and my shop is going trough them, comparing to what they've done. I hope they will have some suggestion during next week. If you have any advice throw it here.

As kindly pointed out by @D-GCOB, the resistor on TAS610 has been checked.
D-GCOB wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:34 am FIS weather is not shown in Germany so that I cannot test it.
Golze ADL can transmit weather information as FIS weather using additional box. This can be interesting solution for Europe but I don't know if G1000 GDU v15.11 can show FIS weather. Any info from US?