3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Iridium Extreme 9575, G1000 NXI TEL & Bluetooth

Post by ingramleedy »

I've been considering getting a satellite phone and possibly use it with the G1000 NXI and the Bluetooth TEL button (when I hopefully get my DA40NG in the coming months).

From what I've seen the Iridium network has more satellite and can make a call while moving, which I assume could be done while in flight too. However the Iridium Extreme 9575 doesn't have Bluetooth, so looks like you need a Bluetooth cradle too. I wasn't sure where this could be even mounted either.

Here is a link of the package, https://satellitephonestore.com/catalog ... on-package

Has anyone else done this, or have any useful thoughts on satellite phone connectivity?

Thanks!
-Ingram
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Iridium Extreme 9575, G1000 NXI TEL & Bluetooth

Post by Boatguy »

The sat phone has a headset jack, and the GMA1360 says you can plug a music source into one of two jacks. The jacks must be on the back side as they are not on the front panel. And the NXi manual is not always accurate. But that might be worth investigating.

Connecting a stereo input to either MUSIC INPUT #1 or MUSIC INPUT #2 jacks removes the SiriusXM
Radio Audio from that input. For example, if passengers prefer their own music while the pilot listens to the
SiriusXM Radio, the entertainment audio should be connected to the MUSIC INPUT #2 jack.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Airtext provides another Iridium-based solution. The AirtextLT is ~$5,000 and $400/year for up to 2500 text-only SMS. This unit is portable so has no installation cost. The solutions go up from there.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

The Garmin inReach Mini (or variations) offer SMS/Text messaging thru their IOS app and the device is a great inexpensive solution too.

Maybe voice communications and the use-case for satellite phone isn't as popular as text messaging these days. Seems that having voice you can better explain details.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Voice comm could be useful to passengers. As the pilot, it's hard to imagine holding a phone conversation with someone while also monitoring ATC.

That would also be a drawback of using the "Music" jacks as the 1360 will mute the "music" whenever there is radio traffic.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Ingram, what's your anticipated use scenario?
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Hi Paul -- Good question --- I want to stay in contact where cell coverage is spotty. I tend to use data services more, like text messaging, Microsoft teams (for work), and email thru my cell phone. But if I were trying to make a reservation, or explain something in more detail, voice makes more sense to me.

A secondary case would be for emergency, if I needed help, I'd probably call someone before I tried to fumble with text messaging or pressing an SOS button. Of course I'd press the SOS button if I HAD TO, but more likely I'd want to explain my emergency. I read that 911 calls can be made in the US though on sat phones.

After thinking about this, a portable sat phone makes sense to me on land. However, using while flying, maybe that's not as important. As Russ points out, listening to ATC and trying to have a voice conversation probably isn't realistic. Texting might be more useable in flight.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

For what it's worth, I can usually just text from my bog standard iphone when in flight. When I ferried my plane with my CFII after purchase I was able to send pictures from 10k feet for most of the route.