Ken, Brand New Student Pilot… with a Great Touch

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Ken, Brand New Student Pilot… with a Great Touch

Post by waynemcc999 »

Today we’re flying with Ken, fresh from his Discovery Flight and eager to start his journey to becoming a licensed pilot. Welcome aboard! Wayne, GeezerGeek
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Re: Ken, Brand New Student Pilot… with a Great Touch

Post by OriensFlight »

Very cool video. That really looked like a fantastic introduction flight with the DA40.

Wayne, I noticed you mounted one of your cameras on a mount between the overhead lights. Do you like that better than the attachment on the top of the front canopy? How did you get the mount attached, is it just adhesive?
Hans
N556LU / 40.763 - 2007 DA40 XL G1000 w/WAAS, SVT, TAS & ADS-B @ RAM Aviation in Healdsburg, California
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

OriensFlight wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:49 am Wayne, I noticed you mounted one of your cameras on a mount between the overhead lights. Do you like that better than the attachment on the top of the front canopy? How did you get the mount attached, is it just adhesive?
Hans, thanks for watching. When I got my first GoPro, I affixed it to the rearmost part of the canopy (using the standard GoPro 3M sticky). I found 2 downsides... (1) the camera was a little bit too far forward in order to pick up the profiles of the pilot and copilot (when using lens=linear which I prefer over wide-angle on my GoPro)... and (2) because I connect ATC/comms audio and a battery pack to that camera, I had to remember to disconnect them before I raised the canopy (guess what: I often forgot 8)).

So... I simply used a 3M sticky and put that between the overhead lights (which I have never used anyway). Surprisingly, after 2 years it still seems to be sticking just fine. This location solves both of the downsides noted above.

Hope this is an understandable description of my logic and solution.

Again, thanks for watching!
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by waynemcc999 »

Hans, here's a photo (looking forward from the backseats) of my overhead GoPro mount...
IMG_7035.jpg
Wayne McClelland