2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephan
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: 888WZ
Airports: KLWM

What’s ahead for the DA-62

Post by Bavarian911 »

I am soon to become a proud owner of a new to me DA-62. I also put in a full refundable deposit for a new 2025 DA-62. I am wondering what innovations will make to the DA-62 in 2-3 years. Probably very incremental changes like improved wx radar, NXI phase 3 but I am wishing for a bit more like auto throttle, safe home button. This would be a parachute killer. Maybe stronger engines producing a true 200 knot twin aircraft.
I was wondering what the forum’s take is on this topic.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: What’s ahead for the DA-62

Post by mfdutra »

Honestly, I expect no innovations unfortunately. Diamond is ridiculously slow. The NXi thing is already a fiasco IMO. They’ve been promising phase 3 for years, and so far, peanuts. They won’t even answer inquiries about it. Same with radar. Garmin stopped making the GWX70 years ago.

I wouldn’t compare safe home with a parachute. While there’s some overlap (pilot incapacitation), they aim to solve different problems. There will always be situations where you’d beg to have a parachute, like a mid-air collision, such as the one in Colorado yesterday. That said, I’d love to have either in the DA62. More tools in your toolbox. Whatever makes you get back home safely is a great tool.

I’m taking delivery of a 62 early next year (after many delays). I’m quite frustrated with the NXi and radar thing.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I agree with Marlon.

Certification of Garmin avionics is about 5-6 years behind Garmin's product releases, shipping new airplanes with products which Garmin discontinued years before. What DAI calls "phase III" is simply software that was certified for other mfgs 4-5 yrs ago.

I also agree that the parachute and safe home address entirely different problems and the latter is a relatively rare occurrence. The difference between the parachute and safe home is mostly the terminal condition of the airframe, and we've all be taught that the insurance company owns that problem.

DAI is struggling to simply make airplanes and engines. They have spread their limited resources across so many airframe / engine combinations (six airframes and seven engines), while also transferring IP to China, that there are no resources left for innovation. There are precious few DSCs that service Austro engines, and now they want them to also build expertise in servicing a new Continental engine?

In the U.S. it's not possible to order a plane with a refundable deposit. Who made that commitment to you? When do you have to commit to purchase the plane?
Bavarian911
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bavarian911 »

To answer your question about refundable deposit, this is what me dealer told me ( and the agreement states )
“What we are doing for those since the 2025 pricing has not been released, is taking a $10,000 fully refundable position deposit. That gets you on the list. When the 2025 pricing comes out, you have the option of contracting for a purchase or declining and you get your 10K back.”
bdbogle
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N687ML
Airports: KEFD

Post by bdbogle »

Bavarian911 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:49 am To answer your question about refundable deposit, this is what me dealer told me ( and the agreement states )
“What we are doing for those since the 2025 pricing has not been released, is taking a $10,000 fully refundable position deposit. That gets you on the list. When the 2025 pricing comes out, you have the option of contracting for a purchase or declining and you get your 10K back.”
Sounds exactly like what Premier did when I got my position on a Q1'24 DA62.
Bavarian911
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bavarian911 »

With the high demand going on right now, Diamond is probably resting on their laurels and doing only incremental changes like the newest radar generation and finally NXI phase 3. Maybe some new paints and interior. I doubt dealer or Diamond will unveil any information to me.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Yes, the 2025 deliveries are based on a signed LOI and a 10k refundable deposit here in the US; that’s what Premier and Lifestyle both mentioned to me at the DAI booth in OSH this year.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

I think the engine and the airframe are mature - I don't see a more powerful engine (to go faster) in the future as I think the Austro A330 is pretty well tapped out. With regard to the airframe, I don't see many improvements to it either as it is mature as well.

The real growth will be in the avionics and even then there are limits. There aren't too many more bells and whistles to be added besides those noted above (newer weather radar, safe home, etc.) apart from what is being promised with Phase III.

I would not hold out any hope for autothrottles. That is a massive job with little real benefit. If DAI was to go the Boeing route and have the throttles move, that would mean motors and clutches, software certification, etc. The Airbus route, throttles in a fixed position and the management through the mode control panel, FMS, etc., would require a complete redesign of the cockpit and for Garmin to be heavily involved. I am not aware of any Garmin 1000 NXi aircraft with autothrottles and Diamond has hitched their wagon to the Garmin 1000 NXi suite.
Bavarian911
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Bavarian911 »

Good insights ED!
With no Auto throttles there will be no "safe home" either. Too bad, as this feature is a real "peace of mind" feature for my wife flying with me single pilot.
For now, I am excited to close on the DA-62 tomorrow and just fly her!
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

What's so hard about autothrottles? The power lever for an Austro is electronic already, connected only to the computer. Seems like the computer could be just as easily programmed to respond appropriately to an AutoLand button. A radar altimeter would needed. Brake by wire, not sure how that works but obviously doable.

Two engines make the pilot comfortable, AutoLand makes the passengers comfortable. That combination would be preferable to a parachute.

My wish list for a future DA62 would include putting the keypad where it belongs - front and center on the lower panel.

Keypad.jpg
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22