3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Slip With Flaps

Post by alanhawse »

I cannot find in the POH any restrictions for Slips with either T/O or Landing Flaps.

Is this right?

Does this mean I can slip with either?

Presumably the only restriction would be the speed?

Thanks,
Alan
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Slip With Flaps

Post by Boatguy »

The 40NG AFM does say this in 4B.3.3 Low Fuel

Prolonged un-coordinated flight can cause fuel starvation to the engine resulting in a loss of power.

3. Return to coordinated flight (not more than approx. half a ball sideslip, 3° - 5° bank)

I routinely get the low fuel light when taxiing and less than 8-9 gal in the left tank.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:18 pm The 40NG AFM does say this in 4B.3.3 Low Fuel

Prolonged un-coordinated flight can cause fuel starvation to the engine resulting in a loss of power.

3. Return to coordinated flight (not more than approx. half a ball sideslip, 3° - 5° bank)

I routinely get the low fuel light when taxiing and less than 8-9 gal in the left tank.
Yes…you are correct … and I often get that warning turning onto the taxiway

I got it today while slipping on a power off 180 near the ground … which makes me wonder if I shouldn’t slip? I probably slipped for 30 seconds to get rid of some altitude

I wish I knew the answer?
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

I have likely slipped for a total of several hours in my DA40 over the years and definitely don’t think it’s something to avoid for these reasons. First, typical use case for a slip would not fall under “prolonged flight”… a minute or two max. And usually on final, after the point where you have already made the runway. Assured landing without the engine, likely because you’re high, and therefore it’s probably the least risky part of a flight to lose the engine.

With that said, it makes sense to switch to the high wing’s tank prior to the slip given this discussion.

I have had instructors who emphasized slipping the 40 to lose altitude, and others who were adamantly against it claiming the airframe doesn’t like the stress and it doesn’t work well anyway. They preferring to pull back until the stall horn is just on (which is VERY effective). Each camp thinks the other is wrong so in the end I don’t think it matters. My preference is to trade speed for altitude on final, though I slip in often too.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

BkFlyer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:54 pm They preferring to pull back until the stall horn is just on (which is VERY effective).
This is a cool thing to have in your toolbox. In his book "Stick and Rudder" Wolfgang Langewiesche discusses the value of sometimes flying "behind the curve" for various phases, this being one of them.

My ability to slip is somewhat limited since I have the original smaller rudder. One need not switch tanks, BTW. If you're slipping to lose altitude (aka forward skip) you can choose to slip left or right, away from the tank you're already using.

I think the original question had to do with the fact that some aircraft can have a problem slipping with full flaps due to airflow blanketing over the horizontal stabilizer/elevator. It seem to me certain older 172's were in this camp.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

Rich wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:20 am This is a cool thing to have in your toolbox. In his book "Stick and Rudder" Wolfgang Langewiesche discusses the value of sometimes flying "behind the curve" for various phases, this being one of them.
Great book. Probably time for me to reread it again!
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

I've read that the engine in a DA40NG draws fuel from one tank only, the left "main" tank. Does that mean that a 40NG should only slip with the left wing high?
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am I've read that the engine in a DA40NG draws fuel from one tank only, the left "main" tank. Does that mean that a 40NG should only slip with the left wing high?
I don't see a similar warning in the DA40-180 AFM. Is there any concern with extended uncoordinated flight? I suppose if same conditions were true, on a normal DA40 you would only want to slip with the currently selected tank high as Adam stated?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am I've read that the engine in a DA40NG draws fuel from one tank only, the left "main" tank. Does that mean that a 40NG should only slip with the left wing high?
Yes, the DA40NG draws only from the left tank so that seems like a good idea.
nickJG
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KHND

Post by nickJG »

The Citabria I used to fly had no flaps. Slip to landing was the only way to bleed airspeed (of which there wasn’t much to begin with lol). A very useful skill to have though.
Last edited by nickJG on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.