4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Re: Slip With Flaps

Post by Charles K »

Would you want to fly in a plane where the airframe cannot take the stress of a slip? I would hardly believe there is an authoritative source stating the airframe could not take that stress. Our DA40s are TOUGH!
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

During training I had plenty of less than ideal approaches that required some... extensive... slips to land, and I never had a hint of engine hiccup. I guess it's possible that I coincidentally always had the right tank selected... but I doubt it.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Some comments:

"Stress" of slips is a problem? Give me a break. I could start a rant about "mistakes by CFIs". But I won't.

As David posted, the fuel issue is not mentioned with the DA40-180. I've slipped plenty without a hiccup. In reality, the forward slip is only maintained for a matter of maybe 10 seconds. During which the engine consumes less than an ounce of fuel (assuming at idle).

At a 5 degree angle of bank in a slip, the "lower" fuel chambers are basically level due to wing dihedral.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dant »

At a 5 degree angle of bank in a slip
Working off of memory as I rarely need to slip these days but I feel like when I'm slipping things are wayyy more tilted than that.

I think the last time I did was in Crescent City where I did a short approach power off 180 to make sure I was clear before an incoming instrument approach fedex plane and my passenger commented "I didn't know you could land these like a helicopter"
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

dant wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:45 pm
At a 5 degree angle of bank in a slip
Working off of memory as I rarely need to slip these days but I feel like when I'm slipping things are wayyy more tilted than that.
Likely true. I was referencing the notation in the NG manual. In principal I could see unporting of fuel from the lower wing if it's low on fuel. Like you I haven't paid attention but I suspect while it can be slipped beyond 5 degree bank it may be less than one thinks.

For a really steep descent try a C-150 in a full slip with full (40 degrees) flaps. The flaps are flapping and the rear fuselage oil-canning :shock:

Then there is the ercoupe-no flaps and no rudder pedals. (Even those that have had them added have very little rudder authority.)

To use the behind-the-curve technique one must be comfortable flying considerably below the speeds recommended in the DA40 POH. In reasonably calm air it is my normal practice to be a bit below those speeds and still wind up with unnecessary float. So there is more margin available.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

I teach primary students in the DA40. We side-slip and forward-slip. Both are required maneuvers for the Private Pilot student. I have done numerous side-slips on final due to wind.
Dave S.
Woodstock OH
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There's a TBM accident where the pilot was unaware that the plane was flying along in a slip for hours. It ran a tank dry and he crashed. I think it was an improper setting of rudder trim or something like that which caused the autopilot to compensate so he was flying with a wing a little up.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
erchegyia
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: HBSGV
Airports: LSZH

Post by erchegyia »

couldn't a slip with full flaps negatively affect the airflow over the control surfaces resulting in the risk of unintended spin?
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dant »

I think it was an improper setting of rudder trim or something like that
The T182T I have a handful of hours in flies with the right wing slightly high and runs that tank down faster. The rudder trim did not perform as expected (and indeed I stopped flying it once I noted the discrepancy).
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

"couldn't a slip with full flaps negatively affect the airflow over the control surfaces resulting in the risk of unintended spin?"

In some Cessnas there is a caution about slipping with full flaps, not because of spinning but because of problems with pitch control. There is no similar worry in the DA40.

Slips are safe, useful and fun. You are slipping every time you land with a crosswind which, to some degree, is almost every landing. They should be part of every pilot's repertoire.

Spins result from a combination of stall and skid. It's hard (but not impossible) to stall with the nose pointed down and a slip is not a skid.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22